This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED:Google Chrome dies on startup

I installed chrome using the AMD64 .deb download today. Chrome ran the first few times I tried it then stopped working. Chrome crashes on startup. I didn't see anything in the system logs so I tried running it from Konsole using:

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome %U

When I do that I get the following message.

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libplds4.so.0d: cannot read file data: Error 14

The file in question is in /usr/lib/. There is also a copy (presumably 32bit) in /usr/lib32/

I had installed a couple of addons while chrome was working and thought perhaps they are the issue. When I tried removing the gadgets from my/home/.google it did not help. I get the same error message. As additional info my firefox is using the 32 bit flash installed by the flashplugin installer.

Now I think it's an authorization issue because chrome runs fine if i start it with kdesudo

btw: I was having erratic startup issues with chromium as well which is why I switched to chrome

Re: Google Chrome dies on startup

I'm a little confused. It may be that we are using different versions of Google Chrome. I downloaded a package called "chromium-browser", "version 5.0.375.99-R51029-0-0Ubuntu0.10.04.1". It installed itself in all the normal places executable in /usr/bin/, a tree of "stuff" in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/..., and some random files in random places in /usr/share/... I have no chrome files under /opt/. My libplds4.so file is in /usr/lib/. It is dated "3/30/10".

I got the chrome package in a download a few days ago by clicking a button HERE. I suspect that you obtained the program in another fashion, e.g. downloaded a "tar.gz" file and compiled it for yourself.

The Ubuntu version doesn't crash for me, but that may be because I don't use it much. (It does not accept the "nosquint" add on for Firefox, so I find it uncomfortable and awkward with my senior citizen eyesight.) I have never tried it under sudo, and have absolutely no intention of doing so (maybe two minutes before I upgrade to Maverick). Can you provide some details about what you're doing when it crashes?

Comment

I installed chromium from the dot deb just over 2 weeks ago. It hasn't been restarted since and I've used it a lot. Absolutely rock solid on 8.04. Perhaps 10.04 is different in that regard but it sounds like it's an idea to uninstall and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
        . . . (It does not accept the "nosquint" add on for Firefox, so I find it uncomfortable and awkward with my senior citizen eyesight.) . . .
        Isn't nosqint great? I use it too. It is however not too difficult to just change font size in Chromium with Ctrl-scroll or Ctrl-+. My problem with Chromium is that it allows sanserif which I do not recognize as a legitimate font for body text. It should be easy to change it in a user CSS but that is not supported yet, as I found out in this thread. I'm sure they will though, as it is needed for W3C compliance.

Comment

I'm a little confused. It may be that we are using different versions of Google Chrome. I downloaded a package called "chromium-browser", "version 5.0.375.99-R51029-0-0Ubuntu0.10.04.1". It installed itself in all the normal places executable in /usr/bin/, a tree of "stuff" in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/..., and some random files in random places in /usr/share/... I have no chrome files under /opt/. My libplds4.so file is in /usr/lib/. It is dated "3/30/10".

I got the chrome package in a download a few days ago by clicking a button HERE. I suspect that you obtained the program in another fashion, e.g. downloaded a "tar.gz" file and compiled it for yourself.
          Yes there are two versions. The one that bturrie and I have is Chrome. Your is Chromium. Chrome gets installed under the /opt directory.

bturrie, You might rename the directory at your home directory
          Code:
          .config/google-chrome
          to see if that restores Chrome. Also check you cache under your home dir .
          Code:
          cache/google-chrome
          PS. Here is the full deb name of chrome: google-chrome-stable_5.0.375.125-r53311_amd64.deb

You can download it from here. I prefer Chrome over Chromium myself.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

@verndog: Same site, newer package. The site says something about an automatic upgrade thingy coming with the *.deb, but I can't find any references to it in any of my *apt* files , (and it certainly hasn't upgraded itself).

@Ole Juul: The nicest (and indispensible) thing about NoSquint is that you can change the size of the print and the magnification of the page separately. What I would regard as good web design practice (others obviously differ) would be to design all pages so that they look good on BOTH old style monitors and the newer, wide-screen monitors. Web pages designed for old style monitors, can be "ctl-plussed" up to be readable for near sighted nerds using wide screen monitors, BUT (a big but) the opposite is not true. A web site designed for use on a wide screen monitor by people with 20/20 vision cannot be made usable by us geriatric geezers by simply enlarging the whole page. We lose the sides. Thus, there are web sites that I simply can't use on my old (narrow screen) monitor without NoSquint. If the NoSquint guy makes his addon available for the Google browser I'll be first in line.

Comment

A web site designed for use on a wide screen monitor by people with 20/20 vision cannot be made usable by us geriatric geezers by simply enlarging the whole page. We lose the sides. Thus, there are web sites that I simply can't use on my old (narrow screen) monitor without NoSquint. If the NoSquint guy makes his addon available for the Google browser I'll be first in line.
              What's wrong with losing the sides? Besides, the scroll wheel just zooms it in and you read the text, then you zoom out if you want to have a look at the (likely superfluous) other stuff. Anyway, sometimes I just view messy sites with Dillo, which is a non CSS browser. That way I get to read their story but don't have to suffer their web design.

@bturrie: Sorry to hijack the thread.

Comment

no problem--the hijacking that is

Comment

Originally posted by bturrie
                  no problem--the hijacking that is
                  So what about the other problem? Did you give up on it?

Comment

Re: SOLVED:Google Chrome dies on startup

Turns out something in my profile was corrupted. The fix involved

1. deleting or preferably renaming the profile folder ~/.config/google-chrome

2. starting chrome so that it builds a new profile

What I didn't like at that point was reinstalling all my addons and my favorites so I continued with

3 then close chrome

4. if you renamed the profile folder rather than deleting it you can try copying the Extensions, Local Storage, and databases folders as well as your Bookmarks file to the Default folder of the new profile

I did this a long time ago though and my memory is a bit shaky at this point. So no warranty expressed or implied for steps 3 and 4. All else fails just repeat steps 1 and 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X