This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Weird X Window thing when using VLC

When I use VLC a weird little window with the X logo on the corner pops up. When I close the window KDE crashes and I have to reboot the computer. The window goes away when I close VLC and comes back again ect... The little window also comes up with a couple WINE applications, Downloader for X, and a couple other GNOME apps. It doesn't cause any problems but it's just a cosmetic thing that I would like to go away. I'm going to attach a screenshot and I also use KDE 4.5 RC2 on Kubuntu 10.04. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Re: Weird X Window thing when using VLC

I figured out that it happens when an application puts an icon into the system tray... But it still doesn't do it for all system tray applications. Skype and KAlarm didn't have the weird window thing but AIMP2 (Through wine) did...
    Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Comment

Ok, I was able to hide it by clicking the X window logo on the window and going to advanced -> Special Application Settings -> Preferences and activating "No border" and "Skip taskbar". I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it or not but it's gone now lol...

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Weird X Window thing when using VLC

The older .99 version of vlc used to have this bug with gnome which was fixed by version 1.05. Have you tried updating vlc to latest via c.korn's ppa and see if this issue persists.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Weird X Window thing when using VLC

My version of VLC was 1.0.6, and it happened with other applications so I think it may have been a KDE thing and not VLC.

Comment

Never had this problem with vlc, but then I'm using the latest vlc-git from here:
            https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/lucid-latest/

However, I've got the same empty X window whenever I run Firestarter (latest version 1.0.3). Closing it crashes X, and I have to use the three-finger-salute to reboot >
            It's the only app that this is happening with.

Originally posted by TN-048
            Ok, I was able to hide it by clicking the X window logo on the window and going to advanced -> Special Application Settings -> Preferences and activating "No border" and "Skip taskbar". I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it or not but it's gone now lol...
            That fixes it for me as well, finally I don't have that ugly empty taskbar entry anymore
            Additionally, Ive selected "Minimised".
            Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Working...
            X