X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

must have programs

hey folks,

can you please list the must have or cool programs or cool games here for us nubs....or give a link to see user ratings....i dont know whats highly useful or fun just by looking at synaptic.....Thanks again
    Curt Alfrey<br />dell vostro 1000 win xp<br />kubuntu 10.4 installed on 250gig ext usb hd

Re: must have programs

I like kstars
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

KDE rules when it comes to superb programs, K3B, K9, SoundKonverter, KDENLIVE are just to name a few. Also don't forget GIMP equivalent but with better interface Digikam, its full featured and has the ability to upload to various services.

Comment

[quote=Telengard ]
        You'll get more informative responses if you tell us what you want to do.

those links helped allot....thanx dude
        Curt Alfrey<br />dell vostro 1000 win xp<br />kubuntu 10.4 installed on 250gig ext usb hd

Comment

what i was talking about was, what packages would you suggest us newbies to get for a fresh install.....you know, a list of "must haves"..... Thanx

Comment

http://kubuntuguide.org/Lucid

Comment

The following assumes a 32-bit Intel/AMD processor, which I have. The following actions are what I do after a fresh install and are performed in a console.

Press Alt+F2 and type konsole. Keep the console open through out the steps below.

1) Install the Synaptic Package Manager, as KPackageKit sucks. Type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synaptic
              After it is installed, you will find it in K > System > Synaptic Package Manager

2) Add Rog131's PPA. Type:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131/ppa
              after the repository and signing key have bee installed, update the package cache:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              3) Install kde-service-menu-rootactions. Type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install kde-service-menu-rootactions
              Description: a Edit-as-root servicemenu for the kubuntu.
              Root Actions servicemenu is a Edit-as-root servicemenu for the kubuntu.
              It allows a admin users to perform several root only actions from konqueror,
              dolphin and krusader via kdesudo (It of course asks for a password).
              4) Install the medibuntu repository. Type:
              Code:
              sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
              (copy the above and paste it into the console)

5) Enable the playing of encrypted DVDs. Type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
              6) Enable formats such as certain Windows formats, Real, and Apple Quicktime which do not have native codecs under Linux. Type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install w32codecs
              7) Enable Flash in Konqueror. Type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install konqueror-nsplugins flashplugin-installer
              Description: Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
              This package will download the Flash Player from the net. It is a
              Netscape/Mozilla type plugin. Any browser based on Netscape or Mozilla can
              use the Flash plugin. This package currently supports the following browsers:
              Mozilla, Mozilla-Firefox, Firefox, Iceweasel, and Iceape. Also Galeon and
              Epiphany can use the Flash plugin. Konqueror can also use the Flash plugin if
              konqueror-nsplugins is installed.
              I use the default web browser Konqueror, but others prefer Firefox. You can install Firefox easily by using the Firefox Installer which you will find in K > Applications > Internet
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanx, that gives me a head start

Comment

though i believe it is completely personal preference.. still i would recommend following things as must hav's:
                  (taken from thread:http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108924.0

1 yakuake
                  sudo apt-get install yakuake

3.2 synaptic --similar to add remove program
                  sudo apt-get install synaptic

3.3 vlc
                  sudo apt-get install vlc

3.4 digikam (very good photo editing software)
                  sudo apt-get install digikam

3.5 rar file support
                  sudo apt-get install rar
                  sudo ln -fs /usr/bin/rar /usr/bin/unrar

4 Third party softwares
                  Following are third party software and require few additional commands.
                  Keep following window open:
                  Go to K->System Settings->Add Remove Software->Settings->Edit Software sources
                  For adding source
                  ->Other Software->Add
                  For adding authentication use konsole as it is easy

sudo apt-get update

4.1 songbird
                  Add repositary: deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu lucid-getdeb apps
                  Authenticate: wget -q -O- http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
                  sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get install songbird

4.2 chromium
                  Run in konsole: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily/ppa
                  sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
                  asus A52N
                  Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                  AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                  windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Working...
                  X