This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KPackageKit: blocked updates from KOffice

Hi all, for a couple of days I have been seeing "12 blocked updates" in KPackageKit, and, since it never happened, I don't know what to do. At first, I thought some other package needed to be updated before those, which were held back until then. But it's not the case. I'm on Kubuntu 10.04, and all 12 updates relate to KOffice - I believe they must be the latest 2.2.1 update, but am not sure. "Unsupported updates" are enabled. The first part of their details read:

Type: Blocked update
    Issued: 24/5/2010
    Updated: 4/7/2010
    New version: koffice-1:2.2.1-0ubuntu1~lucid1
    Updates: koffice-1:2.2.0-0ubuntu1~lucid1
    Repository: Ubuntu
    Description: 1:2.2.1-0ubuntu1~lucid1
    =======================

* Lucid backport
    - Downgrade version of KDE build-depends to 4.4.2
    - Change build-depend libkdcraw-dev to libkdcraw8-dev
    - Downgrade version of pkg-kde-tools to 0.6.4ubuntu5
    - Downgrade version of libgmm-dev to 3.0+svn758845-0ubuntu1
    - Remove librcps-dev and opengtl-dev build-depends, not available in Lucid
    - Update krita.install, krita-data.install and kplato.install

1:2.2.1-0ubuntu1
    ================

* New upstream bugfix release
    - Remove kubuntu_01_kpluginselector_compile.diff and
    kubuntu_03_file_copy_fixes.diff, went upstream
    - Update krita.install, krita-data.install and
    koffice-libs.install

Does anyone know why these updates are blocked, and what (if anything) should I do next? Many thanks in advance!

Re: KPackageKit: blocked updates from KOffice

When updates are 'blocked' it's because installing them would break parts of your already working system - not a desirable thing. Blocking of updates occurs for (usually) one of two reasons:

1) The affected installed package has been deprecated, or
    2) Not all the needed dependencies have been updated or placed into the repositories (yet)

Blocking specific updates is actually a good thing, as it ensures that your system doesn't end up 'borked' afterwards.

That all said however, the "other" issue that can cause this is KPackageKit itself. While it is the default package manager that gets installed, it isn't (in the opinion of many regulars here) ready for prime time. Do the following:

1) Open a console. Press Alt+F2 and type: konsole and press Enter.
    2) Then type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    See if that doesn't work better for you (likely it will). If you still get notified about blocked updates, then as said above, it's for a good reason - don't try to force the process.

While still in the console, do yourself a favor and install Synaptic, a much better package manager. Type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    After it is installed, you will find it at K > System > Synaptic Package Manager
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

1) Open a console. Press Alt+F2 and type: konsole and press Enter.
      2) Then type:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

See if that doesn't work better for you (likely it will).
      Hi Snowhog, and thanks for your detailed explanation, it was much appreciated! The above helped indeed, and all updates were successfully installed.

I have used Synaptic on Ubuntu for two years, I know it's a good piece of software. My only issue with it would be its alien look on KDE. But next time another issue will occur with KPackageKit, I will give it a try. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by lelamal
        I have used Synaptic on Ubuntu for two years, I know it's a good piece of software. My only issue with it would be its alien look on KDE.
        We here (most anyway) are not KDE-centric or GNOME-aphobs. Yes, we prefer KDE over GNOME, but we also prefer applications that work, and if that means a GNOME application, we install it. Function trumps looks every time.

Glad I was able to assist.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Function trumps looks every time.
          I've come to realise how much you were right! I'm still relatively new to Linux, and always learning.

By the way, lately I've been testing Muon, and slowly I found myself preferring it over KPackageKit. Although the latter still remains the default package manager, and the former is just out of beta, I'm really impressed by Muon, which reminds me of Synaptic, and feels overall more complete than KPK. What's your opinion on the matter? Did you have a chance to give Muon a try?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KPackageKit: blocked updates from KOffice

Muon is the KDE "replacement" for Synaptic, which uses GTK libraries. Yes, I've installed Muon and looked at it. It has a lot of promise, and even more so when you consider that it is so new. The developer, who is a member here in KFN, is to be commended for his efforts. IIRC, Muon is going to become the default package manager in Maverick, replacing KPackageKit (may it rest in piece(es)).

I've never embraced KPK. When Adept Package Manager was pulled, and KPK showed up, I always just immediately installed Synaptic. Even so, most of my package management is done from the CLI.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KPackageKit: blocked updates from KOffice

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Yes, I've installed Muon and looked at it. It has a lot of promise, and even more so when you consider that it is so new. The developer, who is a member here in KFN, is to be commended for his efforts. IIRC, Muon is going to become the default package manager in Maverick, replacing KPackageKit (may it rest in piece(es)).
              Amen ! I agree with you, it looks very promising, and Jonathan's efforts are very much appreciated, indeed. I've followed this project on Planet KDE since its birth, so I'm very excited to adopt it so early, and the least I can do is test it and report back any bug to contribute in making it rock solid for inclusion. Oh, by the way, as he explains in his blog Muon will be available in the official repositories for 10.10, but will hopefully be included by default only in 11.04. A good and responsible decision!

Comment

Working...
              X