Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "Set date and time automatically" broken?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is "Set date and time automatically" broken?

I noticed this morning my calender was off by a whole day. Also my clock was a couple of minutes fast. Likely the date thing was a startup issues I had recently that caused me to spend some time in bios so I may have jacked up the date without noticing.

So next step is to get ntp working so this issue corrects itself in the future. Like a good GUI using boy, I went into System Settings> Date and Time> Set date and time automatically. Ticked the little box, selected North America, and was greeted with an error "Unable to contact time server: north-america.pool.ntp.org."

Hmm, did some searching, read some posts here and elsewhere. Discovered ntp is not installed by default (seems that the error should have reflected this). Installed and start ntp, went back to the above steps - same error. Did more searching - added the current ntp servers to /etc/ntp.conf, returned once again to the above steps - nada - no change. In fact the server list presented in System Settings is not the server list in ntp.conf.

During my searching, it appears the KDE4 system settings method is broken. Can anyone confirm or deny this or know a fix It may just be the server list but I see no method to edit the list KDE4 is trying to use.

Please Read Me

Re: Is "Set date and time automatically" broken?

AFAIR it's an old bug (apparently still not fixed). If you need to adjust time you can either configure ntp daemon or use ntpdate manually.

Comment

The package ntp is not installed here, and I am able to activate/deactivate "Set date and time automatically" and select a time server - I'm using Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org).

LL 10.04
      KDE 4.4.5 (but still worked in 4.4.4)
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm...
        Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Not sure what to tell you, or suggest why it isn't working for you. I just changed the Time server to north-america.pool.ntp.org without any problem.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X