X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preempt (Question Answered)

Hi,

I've noticed that various 'preempt' packages are now available.

I am not a computer 'geek' but it seems that this preempt 'stuff' allows the kernel to handle apps. in a more efficient manner.

So my simple question is:

Are they worth loading for the ordinary 'at home' casual user like me?

Thanks
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Preempt

Bump bump bump . . .

Comment

I'm not sure what packages you are talking about. Not that I'm the geek you are looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by leadwt
        Hi,

I've noticed that various 'preempt' packages are now available.

I am not a computer 'geek' but it seems that this preempt 'stuff' allows the kernel to handle apps. in a more efficient manner.

So my simple question is:

Are they worth loading for the ordinary 'at home' casual user like me?

Thanks
        I use linux-preempt, and it seems a bit speedy (and smooth) on my x64 kubuntu notebook.

Also I have installed all the drivers for preemptive kernel:

linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-preempt
        linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-preempt

or by this cmd
        sudo aptitude install `aptitude -w777 search linux[^0-9]*-preempt | awk '{print$2}'`

Comment

...must be 64 bit only thing...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for replies.

I've since tried out these kernels and found that the system does indeed speed-up but I'm looking to do a little more research on what they are about.

All I've seen so far is that you need a 'preempt enabled/empowered processor' and that all kernels will be 'preempt' eventually. Is this actually true and is there any down-side to using them at this time? I've not seen anything about 64 bit but that is what I am running.

Comment

I've since tried out these kernels and found that the system does indeed speed-up but I'm looking to do a little more research on what they are about. . . .
              I'm no expert, but obviously preemtive scheduling is going to be less efficient. That is, less computing is going to be done over a given amount of time. That is why servers haven't used it in the past. However, for desktop use it is more important that the computer responds to the user in a snappy manner. The background stuff isn't noticed. If you are interested in the server perspective, there is a great article by Carla Schroder here.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for replies.

I've since tried out these kernels and found that the system does indeed speed-up but I'm looking to do a little more research on what they are about.

All I've seen so far is that you need a 'preempt enabled/empowered processor' and that all kernels will be 'preempt' eventually. Is this actually true and is there any down-side to using them at this time? I've not seen anything about 64 bit but that is what I am running.

It is a definitely abstract explanation, mosty for a regular user.

Be preemptive - is a software characteristic, not hardware. Most common thing is how device drivers handle requests - if they stop kernel on the time the request is processed by the device, or gives a possibility to process other requests (to the same device or to another one). More requests can be processed simultaneously -> less timeslice quantum -> less time to responce. Indeed, preemptive kernel is more responsive.

As it seems, the backside - say some old hardware driver which will work in a nonpreemptive manner, stopping main processor for a time while handling request. It will looks like glitches and short eventual freezes usually on 'realtime' devices like mouse.

------------

As for my notebook - acer aspire with T7100 and ATI hd2300 onboard these preemptive kernels do their job fine. I have no old drivers installed, all work just outofthebox.

Except that I have found that ACPI subsystem from acer aspire is still does not conform some rules applicable to preemptive drivers. I am not deep with that, but I have just disabled use of ACPI placing 'noacpi' in a boot command line .

------------

64 or 32 bits ? 32 bit system also can be preemptive, but indeed preemptive requires more context switches between threads, and 32 can slowdown (degrade) a bit while switching between 'all these drivers', while 64 will keep switching speed in a good kind and as a result providing very short timeslice quantums - currently, as an exam, useful while processing online audio and video recording (but not for skype since it's still 32 bit software ).

Comment

Hey,

Good info. thanks to both.

I've not used Skype but as it seems detrimental I'll stick to the 'organic' kernels.

Comment

Working...
                  X