X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare Player can't find /dev/vmmon

Hello everyone

I recently installed VMWare Player on my PC. After installing, everything was fine. After restarting my PC, however, VMWare Player stopped working properly. It starts up fine but if I try to access my Windows 98 virtual machine, I get the following error message:
    "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
    Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded."

After that, another error appears saying that the virtual machine is busy and VMWare Player just has a black screen. I tried searching for a solution and so far, I have only found 2.

First is to type this command into Konsole:
    sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all --appname="VMware Player" --icon="vmware-player"
    It does work but it takes a while and VMWare Player only works until I restart my PC again, at which point, the same problem comes back and I have to type in the same command again. I would prefer a solution that doesn't require me using the console every time I restart my PC.

The second option I have found is documented here:
    http://blog.solutionperspectivemedia.co.uk/?p=6
    It basically tells me to add some code to /etc/init.d/vmware. The only problem I have found is that that file is owned by Root and so I can't edit the file. Is there is a Konsole command I can use to edit that file?

Anyway, I need some advice for a long term solution to this problem. Can anyone help me with this? Help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: VMWare Player can't find /dev/vmmon

What version of VMware are you running? The problem (and the blog solution) regarding vmware-config.pl is badly out of date -- I have not seen anything like that since VMware Player ver. 3 first appeared about a year ago.

Comment

Re: VMWare Player can't find /dev/vmmon

I'm using version 3.1.0 build-261024. I downloaded it less than a week ago.

Luckily I haven't found a way to modify that file. I suspected it was out of date when I failed to find vmware-config.pl on my system. Otherwise, I thought the blog gave a plausible explanation of why my problem happens.

Also, I forgot to mention that when I navigated to the /dev directory after restarting my PC, there was nothing called vmmon there, which would explain the error. After I use the Konsole command I noted above though, that file is present.

Comment

Working...
      X