X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta to software sources

Hi Folks,

I was trying to add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta to my software sources. Tried the graphical approach - nothing happended. No ppa - line was created in sources.list. I then tried the command line approach - no success, either.
    please see listing below:

hp@hp:/etc/apt$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv E4DFEC907DEDA4B8A670E8042836CB0A8AC93F7A
    gpg: requesting key 8AC93F7A from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: key 8AC93F7A: "Launchpad Kubuntu Updates" not changed
    gpg: Total number processed: 1
    gpg: unchanged: 1

In the howto's on the web, the last line is something like Successful: 1

Now I had a look at the authentication keys. Again, in the gui, I removed all authentication keys,
    added the default ones. Found the kubuntu-ppa public key, saved it to a file, imported that key. Now
    my list of trusted software providers in the authentication tab looked exactly the same as before.
    Tried to add ppa:/.../beta - no success.

Any ideas why this won't work on my installation?

many thanks in advance,
    Hans-Peter

Re: Cannot add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta to software sources

Adding ppa's, or any non-standard repositories that are already identified (but commented) in the installed OS don't get added to /etc/apt/sources.list. They get added as individually named .list files in /etc/apt/sources.d/

gpg: unchanged: 1

is telling you that there was nothing to change - what already exists was the same as what you (re)tried to add. At this point, if you operate from the console, you just need to run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    to update/reload the package cache.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog,
      many thanks for your explanation. It seems I have some other sort of problem. Since I frequently update/upgrade my software, I would expect to have kde 4.5 installed. But in aptitude, I find this one:
      kdebase-bin 4:4.4.85-0

Thats why I tought, I haven't got the kubuntu-ppa in my software sources , because I was expecting
      kde 4.5?

What am I getting wrong here?

Comment

4.4.85 is the version number for the 4.5 beta, it will become 4.5.0 when that the final, official version is released

Comment

AAH - many thanks, now I understand. I will check out version numbers better next time.
          Many thanks for your help!
          Hans-Peter

Comment

No problem! It isn't very obvious how they do it, actually

Comment

Working...
            X