Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with software and desktop management.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with software and desktop management.

Hi,

I have installed 32 bit Kubuntu on 64 bit AMD Phenom processor because was fed up with the gdk 64 bit ubuntu since the kde supposed to be much better interface. But I am facing with lot of troubles finding things and desktop management.

First I am not sure how to I install wine or any other software. I got to software management, type wine and select the first search result and click apply. The apply button gets faded out but nothing else happens.

The taskbar on desktop is all wrong. The date and time are in the middle. The widgets which are supposed to be on far right are on far left next to kmenu I am not sure how do I move them.

How do I add shorcuts to the Desktop folder? I can add to desktop But I want them in desktop folder I am unable to copy paste the shortcuts into the folder.

Also how can I disable a NIC? I cannot see the adapter listed anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Trouble with software and desktop management.

Hi and welcome.

Motherlode > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

First I am not sure how to I install wine or any other software. I got to software management, type wine and select the first search result and click apply. The apply button gets faded out but nothing else happens.
    Maybe this > Topic: [SOLVED] Can't install packages?

The taskbar on desktop is all wrong. The date and time are in the middle. The widgets which are supposed to be on far right are on far left next to kmenu I am not sure how do I move them.
    The KDE has FAQs > Plasma FAQ >> Plasma FAQ (4.3):
    Can I move the applets on the panel?

To do so, open up the panel controller (by clicking on the cashew or by right clicking on the panel and selecting "Panel Settings") and hover the mouse cursor over the applets. Its shape will turn into four arrows, and you'll be able to rearrange the applets as you wish.

Lydia Pintscher's blog has a video showing movement in action. Another one is available on Aikurn's blog. Aikurn has also made an annotated video.

How do I add shorcuts to the Desktop folder? I can add to desktop But I want them in desktop folder I am unable to copy paste the shortcuts into the folder.
    shortcuts ? Do you mean links ?

Here the drag&drop is offering options:
    - move
    - copy
    - link

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the replies, How ever this does not work

The KDE has FAQs > Plasma FAQ >> Plasma FAQ (4.3):
      Can I move the applets on the panel?

To do so, open up the panel controller (by clicking on the cashew or by right clicking on the panel and selecting "Panel Settings") and hover the mouse cursor over the applets. Its shape will turn into four arrows, and you'll be able to rearrange the applets as you wish.

Lydia Pintscher's blog has a video showing movement in action. Another one is available on Aikurn's blog. Aikurn has also made an annotated video."

I keep pulling then to the right side but they move back. It seems the end of taskbar is in the middle of my screen for the applets although the taskbar is stretched to the width of my screen.

Comment

Once you have positioned the item on the panel where you want it, you have to click your mouse again to 'anchor' it in place. Are you doing this?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by bullsquad
          I keep pulling then to the right side but they move back. It seems the end of taskbar is in the middle of my screen for the applets although the taskbar is stretched to the width of my screen.
          You may have to resize your system tray. Sounds like it stretches across half of the right side of your panel.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X