This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing KDE SC 4.5 Beta 2

Personally, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to this KDE SC4.5 beta2, to anyone who doesn't want to have a bit of a mess to clean up. Also since I used the quick access quite a bit - and now it crashes plasma every time, I find it quite annoying.

One other thing which I'm not sure is related, but Xorg is using much more memory now (right now it's at 437 mb)

Hope things will be fixed soon...

Comment

Yeah, beta 2 is a little high maintenance.

Another thing I've noticed is that the folders I'd placed on the desktop completely disappeared. And when I add new ones, they last until I reboot, then go away. I half-suspect that when it all gets fixed I'll log in and find about fifty desktop folders on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by idyllic
        Activities management is revamped. Dont be surprise when you reboot that you are throw in a new activity, can switch back to your original activity by clicking on the cashew and select activities.
        That works a lot better than the "zoom out" thing which was unbearably slow and occasionally rather unpredictable on a dual-head setup. But, as with horizontal "Add Widgets" managers, the close gadget is hidden outside the visible screen area. My guess is that they take up the full horizontal resolution of the screen but are shifted to the right by the width of the vertical panel on the left, which they do not cover -- so their right edges are in limbo.

Comment

I made a foolish mistake... I had the ppa enabled for amarok, then pow, I was not paying attention and I got a partial upgrade and a mess by accident... Did an apt-get dist-upgrade to finish it up and I have 4.5 which is far from ready really. Lots of annoying things going on with it. It is usable, but as mentioned in the prior post, desktop widgets disappear on logout... they show they are there when you go to "add widgets" but they do not show up. Some things show up with an ugly gtk interface:-( and kdm is not showing other window managers (ldxe). I think I will stick it out because going back would be rather difficult to say the least.

Comment

the packages listed to be removed are due to different package sets that replace existing ones, at least in how they are named. I just upgraded to beta2 yesterday with no glitches at all, but I use apt, not aptitude, which seems to make things more scary than reality, in this case at least

Please remember, this is all early BETA software, your puppies may be startled and your kittens may cry

The following packages are BROKEN:
            libqt4-assistant plasma-dataengines-yawp
            then followed by this:
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
            plasma-dataengines-yawp: Depends: libweather-ion4 (>= 4:4.4.1) but it is not installable
            libqt4-assistant: Depends: libqt4-network (= 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5) but 4:4.7.0~beta1+git20100522-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 is to be installed.
            Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5) but 4:4.7.0~beta1+git20100522-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 is to be installed.
            This is because libqt-assistant and plasma-dataengines-yawp don't yet have qt 4.7 or kde 4.5 equivalents from whichever ppa or repo that they came from.

Next we have this:
            The following packages will be REMOVED:
            freespacenotifier{a} kdebase-plasma{a} kdepimlibs-data{a} kdesnake{a}
            libkfontinst4{a} libkonqsidebarplugin4{a} libkwineffects1{a}
            libmarble4{a} libplasma-applet-system-monitor4{a} libplasmaclock4{a}
            libprocesscore4{a} libprocessui4{a} libtaskmanager4{a} libweather-ion4{a}
            If you look at the NEW packages to be installed, you will see many of the NEW packages to be installed are called foobar4a in place of foobar4, and iirc others have been integrated into other things, and the removal of the game kdesnakes I could not say why, but perhaps it does not have a maintainer or isn't compatible yet with newer qt and kde

Aptitude then offers its suggestion on what to remove that is kde4.5 and qt4.7-based and also what kde4.4 and qt4.6-based things in an attempt to preserve what you have.

Now as to actually using 4.5, one thing I see is no Akonadi errors anymore tho I don't like the monochrome icons, they clash

Comment

A few other things I'm noticing:

- screen savers no longer work
              - most of the desktop effects no longer work -- for example, windows are still translucent when I drag them but they no longer "wobble", and the cube transition from virtual desktop to virtual desktop no longer displays
              - all of the kde applications have a strange quasi-brushed metal look them, I can't really describe it better than that, but it doesn't really fit in with the "now even more transparent" desktop panels.
              - The battery monitor system tray item doesn't update -- if the laptop is unplugged and then you plug it in, it doesn't switch to the charging graphic, and vice-versa.
              - I'm not seeing any akonadi errors any more, but I think that's because they've disabled the akonadi portions of kmail until they fix it.

Comment

I decided to just disable the ppa for the Beta for now, as it looks like a gigantic hassle.

Cheers,
                zenarcher
                Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

It's definitely not ready for prime time. It's neat to play around with though.

Comment

Hi
                    Here I am again....

I have updated to beta2, but with no luck. After I did the update by the console, the system became unstable and I rebooted the system. It never booted again, It always stucks on a black screen (no cursor ou mouse).

After some things I tested (I'm still newbie), I tried to boot with recovery and execute dpkg. No Go.

So I went to the command prompt and tried: sudo apt-get upgrade & update. It told me that i have some package problems.
                    It stucks here:
                    cannot execute /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-workspace-data_4%3a4.485.....ppa3_all.deb
                    sub process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error

How can I get it back to work? I have an ATI card. Can it be the problem??

Thanks

Comment

I'm having very good luck with KDE 4.5 (4.4.80).

Try a
                      Code:
                      sudo dpkg --configure -a
                      If it is still stuck, we'll have to rip it out and try again with the installation.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

If it is still stuck, we'll have to rip it out and try again with the installation.
                        Hi

How can i do this?
                        I'm gonna try your solution.

PS: SUDO DPKG.... doesn't do anything....

Comment

Did the dpkg command not help?

If it didn't help, then you need to remove/delete that .deb file that is stuck in /var/cache/apt/archives/. Then I would try again with

Code:
                          sudo dpkg --configure -a
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get update
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

I removed the ppa file and did those commands, but the update gets again the same file, and the same error apears...

Can't I cancel the update??

Comment

The downloaded file is still in your cache.

Try a
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove

Comment

OK, i'm gonna do it now.

PS: Same error.... GGRRRRHHHHH

PS2: I'm trying to install Gnome.... Let's see what happens

PS3: Gnome is working. OK, now what should I do to put KDE back to work again??

Comment

Working...
                                X