This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing KDE SC 4.5 Beta 2

I have added the backport repo for updating to KDE SC4.5 Beta 2 on my 64 bit Lucid system. After updating and running sudo aptitude safe-upgrade, I'm still left with something like 163 packages being held back. Checking with Synaptic, the package holding all the updates back is libqt4-assistant, which Synaptic shows would have to be removed before the other packages can be updated.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is libqt4-assistant a necessary package, or could it safely be removed?

Regards,
    zenarcher
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Re: Installing KDE SC 4.5 Beta 2

That's a good question. I'm waiting with dist-upgrade as well. Somehow I don't think some packages from the list below are expendable:

kappfinder kde-kdm-themes kde-minimal kdeartwork kdebase kdebase-plasma kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-dev kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdepimlibs-data kdeplasma-addons kdesnake kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers kscreensaver-xsavers-extra kscreensaver-xsavers-webcollage kshutdown kvirc kwin libkfontinst4 libkonqsidebarplugin4 libkwineffects1 libmarble4 libprocesscore4 libprocessui4 libqt4-assistant libqt4-phonon libsmokekde4-3 plasma-widget-logout plasma-widget-smooth-tasks plasma-widget-weather plasma-widget-yasp plasma-widgets-addons plasmoid-weather plasmoid-weather-smhi

Comment

Agreed. Right now, I have 163 packages being held back when I do sudo aptitude safe-upgrade. As best as I can tell, it's due to libqt4-assistant.

Cheers,
      zenarcher
      Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

sudo aptitude dist-upgrade should do the trick.

Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

I tried updating the packages through synaptic and after I log in the desktop... disappears.

I will try dist-upgrade and hope that fixes things.

Still, keep in mind it is a beta... we all run the risk of catastrophic boom.

Comment

Let us know how that works out of you try it. I hate to wipe out something major here.

Cheers,
            zenarcher

Comment

Originally posted by zenarcher
              Agreed. Right now, I have 163 packages being held back when I do sudo aptitude safe-upgrade. As best as I can tell, it's due to libqt4-assistant.
              aptitude safe-upgrade (similar to apt-get upgrade) won't upgrade packages that (due to changed dependencies) would require removal of installed packages or installation of new packages.

If you want to upgrade those packages, you need dist-upgrade (of course you should always check which packages are marked for removal to decide if you want to go through with the upgrade)

Comment

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that.

Regards,
                zenarcher

Comment

Took a look at sudo aptitude safe-upgrade and it appears it would create a real mess!

Cheers,
                  zenarcher

Comment

I confess I thought the install would be a little more complete when they announced on the front page that beta 2 was available for Lucid. The complete annihilation of my desktop feels a lot more like an alpha release for me, I'm not sure what standards they're using to measure these things.

Comment

That was my thought, as well. After seeing the announcement on the Kubuntu website in "News" I pretty much figured all proper packages would be in place, since there was no statement to the contrary, such as "allow time for all packages to be uploaded."

Regards,
                      zenarcher

Comment

dist-upgraded without a problem...

Some first impressions:

* The System Settings categories make more sense now, and no longer distinguish between advanced/non-advanced.
                        * Plasma-desktop no longer crashes when bringing up the desktop properties while a slideshow is running.
                        * Systray notifications look cleaner and less confusing.
                        * Tiling layout mode may or may not be useful...
                        * Cleaner, simpler icons for Kmix, Device Manager, and the keyboard layout indicator.

Issues:

* The System Settings submenu of the classic K-Menu is missing some items, and the System Settings "container" application shows a bunch of them under Lost and Found.
                        * The Computer submenu still shows Places as Remote Storage and a mix of both as Places.
                        * Kwin was eating more CPU than usual at first; moving windows exhibited some tearing. Fiddled with the desktop effects some and it's back to normal.
                        * The Quick Access widget immediately crashes the Plasma desktop.
                        * The new all-singing, all-dancing system tray has layout issues with the extra item "Paste" enabled (perhaps it works with horizontal panels only; there're other little snags like that).
                        * The Add Widgets widget won't let me scroll past "Konsole Profiles" (when vertical) and is partially outside the visible screen area (when horizontal, due to being shifted to the right by a vertical panel).
                        * The "i" icon in the system tray doesn't fit inside its box in a vertical panel.

Comment

When I did a normal upgrade it removed the kubuntu desktop. I had to add kde-base in order to get a desktop back.

My first impressions are similar to abalones, though I'm not as sold on the System Settings categories. Some of the reordering makes more sense but overall it looks and feels cluttered.

More issues:

wicd will only show up in the System tray for a minute or two, then it disappears completely.

Currently all the default weather apps are missing and it doesn't support YAWP.

These are somewhat minor things, since wicd still works and I assume the weather applets will be added eventually. What hurts me the most right now is the issue with the Quick Access folders that abalone identified.

Comment

Here's what I see with sudo aptitude dist-upgrade. Looks like I would end up with a broken mess......

zenarcher@stanmain:~$ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree
                            Reading state information... Done
                            Reading extended state information
                            Initializing package states... Done
                            The following packages are BROKEN:
                            libqt4-assistant plasma-dataengines-yawp
                            The following NEW packages will be installed:
                            docbook-xsl{a} docbook-xsl-doc-html{a} gnupg2{a} kajongg{a}
                            kdegraphics-libs-data{a} kdelibs5-plugins{a} kdepimlibs-kio-plugins{a}
                            kdoctools{a} libakonadi-contact4{a} libakonadi-kabc4{a}
                            libakonadi-kcal4{a} libakonadi-kde4{a} libakonadi-kmime4{a} libcln6{a}
                            libgpgme++2{a} libkabc4{a} libkblog4{a} libkcal4{a} libkde3support4{a}
                            libkdecore5{a} libkdesu5{a} libkdeui5{a} libkdewebkit5{a} libkdnssd4{a}
                            libkfile4{a} libkholidays4{a} libkhtml5{a} libkimap4{a} libkimproxy4{a}
                            libkio5{a} libkjsapi4{a} libkjsembed4{a} libkldap4{a} libkmediaplayer4{a}
                            libkmime4{a} libknewstuff2-4{a} libknewstuff3-4{a} libknotifyconfig4{a}
                            libkntlm4{a} libkonqsidebarplugin4a{a} libkontactinterface4{a}
                            libkparts4{a} libkpimidentities4{a} libkpimtextedit4{a} libkpimutils4{a}
                            libkpty4{a} libkresources4{a} libkrosscore4{a} libkrossui4{a} libksba8{a}
                            libktexteditor4{a} libktnef4{a} libkunitconversion4{a} libkutils4{a}
                            libkwineffects1a{a} libkxmlrpcclient4{a} libmailtransport4{a}
                            libmarblewidget10{a} libmessagecore4{a} libmessagelist4{a}
                            libmicroblog4{a} libnepomuk4{a} libnepomukquery4a{a} libplasmaclock4a{a}
                            libprocesscore4a{a} libprocessui4a{a} libqalculate4{a} libqgpgme1{a}
                            libsolid4{a} libsyndication4{a} libtaskmanager4a{a} libthreadweaver4{a}
                            libvirtodbc0{a} libweather-ion4a{a} marble-plugins{a} palapeli-data{a}
                            python-crypto{a} python-openssl{a} python-pam{a} python-pyasn1{a}
                            python-qt4-sql{a} python-serial{a} python-twisted{a}
                            python-twisted-bin{a} python-twisted-conch{a} python-twisted-core{a}
                            python-twisted-lore{a} python-twisted-mail{a} python-twisted-names{a}
                            python-twisted-news{a} python-twisted-runner{a} python-twisted-web{a}
                            python-twisted-words{a} virtuoso-minimal{a}
                            virtuoso-opensource-6.0-bin{a} virtuoso-opensource-6.0-common{a}
                            The following packages will be REMOVED:
                            freespacenotifier{a} kdebase-plasma{a} kdepimlibs-data{a} kdesnake{a}
                            libkfontinst4{a} libkonqsidebarplugin4{a} libkwineffects1{a}
                            libmarble4{a} libplasma-applet-system-monitor4{a} libplasmaclock4{a}
                            libprocesscore4{a} libprocessui4{a} libtaskmanager4{a} libweather-ion4{a}
                            The following packages will be upgraded:
                            akonadi-server akregator ark bomber bovo digikam dolphin dragonplayer
                            granatier gwenview kaddressbook kamera kapman kate katomic kbattleship
                            kblackbox kblocks kbounce kbreakout kcalc kcharselect kde-window-manager
                            kde-zeroconf kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-runtime kdebase-workspace
                            kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data
                            kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdebase-workspace-wallpapers kdegames
                            kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data
                            kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-groupware kdepim-kresources
                            kdepim-runtime kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs5 kdiamond
                            kdm kfind kfourinline kgoldrunner kgpg khelpcenter4 kigo killbots
                            kinfocenter kiriki kjumpingcube klines klipper kmag kmahjongg kmail
                            kmines kmix kmousetool knetwalk knotes kolf kollision konqueror
                            konqueror-nsplugins konquest konsole kontact kopete korganizer kpat kppp
                            kreversi krosspython ksame kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers kshisen
                            ksirk ksnapshot kspaceduel ksquares ksudoku ksysguard ksysguardd
                            ksystemlog ktron ktuberling kubrick kwalletmanager libakonadiprivate1
                            libattica0 libdbusmenu-qt2 libhamlib2 libkcddb4 libkdcraw8
                            libkdecorations4 libkdegames5 libkdepim4 libkephal4 libkexiv2-8 libkipi7
                            libkleo4 libkonq5 libkopete4 libkpgp4 libksane0 libkscreensaver5
                            libksgrd4 libksieve4 libksignalplotter4 libkworkspace4 libmimelib4
                            libokularcore1 libphonon4 libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libplasma3
                            libplasmagenericshell4 libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help
                            libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script
                            libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-sqlite
                            libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns
                            libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libsolidcontrol4 libsolidcontrolifaces4 libsoprano4
                            lskat mplayerthumbs okular okular-extra-backends palapeli phonon
                            phonon-backend-xine plasma-dataengines-addons
                            plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop
                            plasma-scriptengine-javascript plasma-scriptengine-python
                            plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widget-kimpanel
                            plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace python-kde4 python-qt4
                            python-qt4-dbus showfoto soprano-daemon systemsettings
                            168 packages upgraded, 96 newly installed, 14 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                            Need to get 203MB of archives. After unpacking 59.0MB will be used.
                            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                            plasma-dataengines-yawp: Depends: libweather-ion4 (>= 4:4.4.1) but it is not installable
                            libqt4-assistant: Depends: libqt4-network (= 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5) but 4:4.7.0~beta1+git20100522-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 is to be installed.
                            Depends: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5) but 4:4.7.0~beta1+git20100522-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 is to be installed.
                            The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
                            kdebase-workspace
                            kdebase-workspace-bin
                            kscreensaver
                            kscreensaver-xsavers
                            kubuntu-desktop
                            libqt4-assistant
                            plasma-desktop
                            plasma-widgets-workspace

Keep the following packages at their current version:
                            libtaskmanager4 [4:4.4.4-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 (lucid, now)]
                            libtaskmanager4a [Not Installed]
                            libweather-ion4 [4:4.4.4-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 (lucid, now)]
                            libweather-ion4a [Not Installed]
                            plasma-dataengines-workspace [4:4.4.4-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1 (lucid, now)]

Score is 472

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Comment

I managed to successfully upgrade to 4.5 beta 2. I waited 3 hours for the kdebase-workspace ~ppa3 then hit the upgrade switch and none of the above problems will happen.

Crashed and burnt on my production machine now. Quick Access plasmoid will crash whenever you click on it, so using the new Shelf plasmoid for now (which is way more cooler).

Activities management is revamped. Dont be surprise when you reboot that you are throw in a new activity, can switch back to your original activity by clicking on the cashew and select activities.

Daisy and Xbar plasmoid are removed when upgrading, so if your life depends on this 2, don't upgrade.

Blur effect is kind slow down my laptop considerably. There are couples of new effects btw.

Systems Settings arrangement changed a lot and more customizable options. Notification area is awesome too with monochrome icon, very windows 7-ish now. Overall a pleasant experience with kde sc 4.5 beta 2.

Cheers,
                              HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X