This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run command interface hangs

The run command interface (the thing you get with alt-f2) often hangs for me. It just crashed even.

Anyone else see this? Any ideas? I find the interface extremely useful.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Run command interface hangs

Originally posted by joneall
    The run command interface (the thing you get with alt-f2) often hangs for me. It just crashed even.

Anyone else see this? Any ideas? I find the interface extremely useful.
    Probably an issue with one of the krunner plugins (I've seen bug reports of at least the "control audio player" plugin causing hangs when amarok is running).

You may try disabling the plugin (can be done in krunner configuration), or if that doesn't help you can disable all plugins and then add them back one by one to see if one of the other plugins is the cause.

Comment

Krunner uses plugins? I thought plugins were a Mozilla thing (and a major source of pain...).
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

It sometimes hangs just with a simple calculation or conversion. Right now, I have typed in "5 miles in cm" and it is showing the result in meters and is completely hung. Neither alt-f2 nor the "X" on the window have any effect. I already turned off contacts.

Ah, it just woke up and went away, about 1 minute later. What can it be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
          Krunner uses plugins? I thought plugins were a Mozilla thing (and a major source of pain...).
          Plugin architecture is not bad in itself (it's the reason why krunner is so versatile), most plugin problems (with apps like firefox) come from (unmaintained) 3rd party plugins, and the plugins you normally have installed for krunner come from KDE.

I can't say for sure your issues are caused by plugins, it's just an "educated" guess, but changes in krunner, the apps the plugins connect to or dbus can cause a plugin to fall "out of sync" with the changes. Or of course there might just be bugs in any plugin.

It sometimes hangs just with a simple calculation or conversion. Right now, I have typed in "5 miles in cm" and it is showing the result in meters and is completely hung. Neither alt-f2 nor the "X" on the window have any effect. I already turned off contacts.

Ah, it just woke up and went away, about 1 minute later. What can it be doing?
          I tried your conversion, and it works fine (and doesn't hang) on my maverick installation with KDESC 4.5 beta1, so it's possible it's already fixed in the next version of KDE (haven't had other krunner hangs either).

I can't really recommend installing KDESC4.5 beta1 just yet (it's still beta after all, so you may run into other problems), but if you haven't installed KDESC 4.4.4 (available from a ppa for lucid), you might upgrade to see if it's already fixed there.

Comment

Working...
          X