This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Remote login to Windows using java jre, tsclient and rdesktop

My firm uses a Citrix package on Windows XP to allow employees to remote login to their work desktops. Of course they love you to use Windows PC, but I perservered and used my Linux PC with Karmic. Al was fine for months, and then suddenly no go ! They had changed something at work and my connection stopped working.

In desperation I upgraded to Lucid but still no joy. After a lot of bothering technical support at work (they really aren't interested in anything but windows) and much perusing of the internet, I concluded that I needed a later version of jre than I had. Unfortunately, unlike windows, us Unix users do not get automatically notified of jre updates and an easy single click to update - as a result technical support at my work don't bother telling anyone when they need a jre update. However, under Lucid trying to use KPackageKit to install jre updates gives some really weird messages like your package is no longer valid. This doesn't do the Linux image any favours. Eventually I discovered some excellent instructions for manually loading jre at http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...STALL-MANUALLY which also include instructions how to load the plugin for Firefox as well !

All you need to do then is load tsclient 0.150-3ubuntu1 (i386) and rdesktop 1.6.0.2ubuntu3 (i386) and it should all work - well it did for me.

This should be fine until I need the next version of jre. Fortunately the link above also contains instructions on how to manually delete and upgrade.

Quite honestly the java install part of Linux is very weak.
Working...
X