This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to upgrade?

Hello everyone ! This is my first post here and would like to know if it's safe to upgrade from kde 4.4.2 to 4.4.3? After a couple of hours of downloading all the stuff to my Kubuntu 10.04 I don't want to ruin anything . So what do you guys recommend?
    Dual Partition: Kubuntu 10.04 &amp; Windows 7<br />Linux Registered User #485739<br />&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />&quot;If Linux doesn&#39;t have the solution, you have the wrong problem.&quot;

Re: Is it safe to upgrade?

If you can't upgrade safely there is something wrong with your installation. Bad ISO? Bad CD? Bad hardware?

My upgrade to KDE 4.4.4 flagged 155 files and went off without a hitch. But that's me and my notebook. I don't know what hardware you are running so I can't even make an educated guess.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

KDE 4.4.3 is a 'bug fix'. It is recommended that those running KDE 4.4.2 upgrade.

You can follow my instructions at Re: Switch user hangs in kubuntu (if you already have the medibuntu repository added, you can omit that step). You will, after you are done, be at KDE 4.4.4.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My upgrade to 4.4.4 on 2 machines went well. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          If you can't upgrade safely there is something wrong with your installation. Bad ISO? Bad CD? Bad hardware?

My upgrade to KDE 4.4.4 flagged 155 files and went off without a hitch. But that's me and my notebook. I don't know what hardware you are running so I can't even make an educated guess.
          Hello GreyGeek. There's nothing wrong with my hardware. My question was is it safe to upgrade? I've read in other forums how they have problems after upgrading and I don't want to fall in that after long hours of getting the things right in my installation. I've been a gnome user quite a while and I'm new with KDE, that's why I was asking. Cheers.
          Dual Partition: Kubuntu 10.04 &amp; Windows 7<br />Linux Registered User #485739<br />&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />&quot;If Linux doesn&#39;t have the solution, you have the wrong problem.&quot;

Comment

The short answer is that few things in the world of computers are guaranteed, but yes, it should be safe to upgrade.

Comment

I did a 'net upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2

Upgraded 4.4.2 to 4.4.3, no complaints

Upgrade 4.4.3 to 4.4.4, ho hum, not a whimper

Safe? Not even a moment of holding my breath, it was a snooze
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Well, just completed an upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. ! Like a breeze. Thanxs guys...

Comment

Glad it worked well for you! 8)

I hope you can understand why I or anyone else could not say with 100% assurance that your attempt would also be without problems, like ours was.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X