This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kopete and Plasma Crash

After a disaster attempting to 'update' from 9.10 (I should know better), I wiped a hard drive and did a plain vanilla, default install of 10.4 from a CD.

Ever since then, I've had dozens of crashes. They seem to be related to Kopete although I get at least one a day from Firefox. In the meantime, I'm using Pidgin and it appears to be stable.

When I load Kopete, it will start and then immediately crash the first couple of times. The third or forth instance, it will crash, I get a black screen and immediately jump to the KDE login.
    The same thing happens about once a day while using Firefox. It does not appear to be web page related as I've had it happen while replying to a GMail message, while looking at Yahoo News and while on another forum site.

This was happening every few minutes until I turned off Nepomuk and Strigi.

I've looked in this forum, a Kubuntu support mailing list and on a KDE list and have seen a lot of complaints about Nepomuk, Strigi and Plasma, but no answers.

Are there any plans for a version of KDE that does NOT have all the gee-whiz BS of plasmoids, Nepomuk, etc? I've yet to see any advantage other than to show off how 'kewl' the coders can make it look.

Suggestions or questions are welcomed. I'm almost ready to rebuild the system with 8.04 so I can have a stable computer.

Re: Kopete and Plasma Crash

Originally posted by e.c.field
    I wiped a hard drive and did a plain vanilla, default install of 10.4 from a CD.
    When you say 'wiped', did that include the existing /home partition? You should not be having the issues you are describing with a fresh install of 10.04 from a LiveCD. Did you, after installation, update the cache and then dist-upgrade to bring installed packages up to date? Have you upgraded to KDE 4.4.4?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I wiped the existing partition and gave did a default install from the LiveCD.
      I have checked and installed all updates about twice a week since 10.04 was released.
      If KDE 4.4.4 is not in the repositories, then I've not updated.

Comment

Your problem description sounds a lot like this -- check out GreyGeek's advice down the thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112257.0

Comment

Working...
        X