This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are having problems with suspend and/or network manager

I kept having suspend issues and found that in my machine, leaving /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state in a manner that kept networkmanager disabled on wake or the next boot. I have seen a post regarding that and so on further investigation, I found that for my machine (Asus 1201 T eee-pc) the root of the issue is...

The computer seemed to try to suspend BEFORE all script "tasks" were completed:

-Often on wake, I would not be presented with the password dialog, but the desktop would flash up, THEN the screen would be locked THEN I'd be shown the password dialog... meaning it did NOT finish something it should have BEFORE suspending.

-Other times, it would hang and not suspend for a while longer than usual, then I would frequently get disk I/O errors a few moments after resume. Once in a while, the numlock led would flash, meaning a "panic" situation occurred and I would have to hold the power button down to reboot. On reboot, everything would be absolutely fine. Disk is not flawed. HIBERNATE never caused an issue.

The new script was called 97quirk and it looks like this:

Code:
    #/bin/sh
    # hold off suspend for tasks to complete
    case $1 in
      suspend|hibernate) sleep 5;;
      resume|thaw)    ;;
      *) exit $NA ;;
    esac
    exit 0
    This way, suspend was held for an extra 5 seconds while other "stuff" was finishing up. After adding the script, I experienced almost no issues with the topic of this post.

I have Lucid on several other kinds of machines but this is not an issue on any of them. It seems to be a quirk of the hardware and configuration on this one laptop.
Working...
X