Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

I have good & bad news.

good news I have fixed the sound in the package maintainer's version of GNUBg.

bad news I fixed it "by accident" -you may well not want to repeat the steps I took:

Firstly, I use Lucid and not Hardy anymore. I tried to install GNUBG from source using the instructions on their website -it didnt work. So I installed the package maintainers version from the repositories (kPackageKit in Lucid).

I installed Avant-Window-Navigator from the repositories. It gives a mac/os x like feel to Linux by installing a "dock" for applications -just like in os x.

It is based on Gnome rather than KDE, and the package maintainer installed 180 other packages that were required by Avant. I noticed that PulseAudio was one of them, and some other sound packages.

I noticed that the sound then worked in GNUBg (but it kept crashing), so I removed & reinstalled GNUBg from the repositories. Now it works pretty well, the sound is now fine.

My guess is that the GNUBg package is fine, and has sound. but kubuntu needs to have some sound packages added to it for you to hear it. perhaps GStreamer itself, or if not then one that comes with Gnome Desktop perhaps.

Sorry to be so vague, if it is any help I am very happy with Avant. I much prefer it to how I had the KDE desktop set up before, although I have a few small teething problems with it.

Re: Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

ok, ignore my last post.

I have finally got to the knub of the matter.

I just finished restoring an image of a clean Kubuntu Lucid install. I managed to get the sound working in GNUBg in just a few minutes, heres how:

1) Install GNUBg from the repositories

2) install Pulseaudio (server) and Gstreamer for Pulsaudio plugin using KPackageKit (or similar).

3) Whilst installing, the package manager also adds some 6 other packages which are required, libraries etc.

4) voila - bob's you uncle. GNUBg sound should now be working.

Comment

Re: [Solved] Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

dont quite know what happened here. I was updating an old post I made & somehow posted just the last two posts.

Luckily, just the last two posts seem to explain the matter adequately.

couldnt figure out how to delete it.

Comment

Working...
      X