X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add User bug - can't specify user ID

I've found a possible bug - minor.

I attempted to add a new user to my system and specify userid number. It let me enter a number, but then reset it to the default (1001) when I clicked ok. I went through this several times.

Before I report it as a bug - I'd like some confirmation...

Please Read Me

Re: Add User bug - can't specify user ID

It worked for me. Are you doing it through System Settings, Advanced Tab, User Management?

Comment

That's the only place (within the GUI) that you can do this. Are you saying, that you were able to add a new user, and that you could specify a UID other than the one the system assigned, and that when you clicked on OK, that it kept your chosen UID?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It worked for me. Are you doing it through System Settings, Advanced Tab, User Management?
        Precisely, it always works correctly via the command line but I'm trying to get used the GUI tools like all those CLI challenged folks out there

Just to verify I was seeing it correctly, I added three users - each time I changed the UID to 1007, each time when I clicked OK the UID reverted to the next in sequence. I even attempted differnet sequence of events - switching tabs and selecting/de-selecting various events.

Please Read Me

Comment

I see. So even if you attempt to change the UID through the GUI, it changes it back to whatever it wants to give it. That is weird. I am not too sure, since I don't usually create user accounts. I created mine and my son's account through the GUI, and it worked with the default UID it gave.

Comment

It not a question as to whether or not the new user account works (it does), it's just not the UID I required. I have a network of 8 computers, many of them linux, and it's helpful on my server to have everyone using a specific UID on all clients.

ANYway... I reported this as a minor bug over at KDE.

Please Read Me

Comment

Typical - I reported the bug at KDE, they said it's a kubuntu bug, I followed the instructions to report a bug to kubuntu, ended up at kde again.

<Sigh> Linux is becoming more and more like windows every day. :P

Please Read Me

Comment

It's just that whole "It's not my problem. Send them over to the other team." kind of attitude. Sounds a lot like my workplace LOL. Hope everything gets adjusted for you.

Comment

It's easy enough to work around - I just have to enter my users in the order I want their user numbers. Only slightly annoying...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X