This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost my desktop

i have just finished installing kubuntu, i have no idea what i did bt my desktop is blank, i have no taskbar and totally dont know how to get it back. please help...

Re: lost my desktop

Did you md5sum the iso? Then run option #3 on the LiveCD to check the burn?
    IF you did:
    If your keyboard works use Alt-F2 to get a konsole.
    Assuming your network connection is active:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i have tried that and it says kubuntu desktop is the latest version, it hasnt helped...

Comment

@ huflor

What exactly did you try? GG proffered 4 options...

We can only help you if you provide us with precise info. If you don't understand any part of GG's reply simply ask -he is quite nice, really
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

i'm sorry i wasnt specific. i tried them all, nun worked.

Comment

Okay, could you please post the output of:

Code:
            lspci | grep VGA
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300 GE] (rev a1)

Comment

Hm, a quick search on the forum here does not report any problems with nvidia and that card...

Could you try CTRL+ALT+F3 to get into a virtual terminal, log in and type:

Code:
                sudo service kdm restart
                With any luck the kdm login screen should appear. Now try and log in...

Report if you get stuck and where you get stuck if you do.

Comment

i didnt get stuck anywhere. went to the login screen, i logged in and now i'm back here

Comment

Coolio!

Well, or not quite so cool. At least we know that kdm works and you can log in. Next question, what is the output of
                    Code:
                    df -h
                    And I'd have another question, namely what does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf look like - but as I haven't run kubuntu for ages I'm not sure whether it even uses it still

Wait for some active kubuntu users to wake up across the Atlantic, I'm sure they will be able to pinpoint the problem In the meantime, let us know what df -h says...

Comment

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                      /dev/sda5 36G 3.9G 30G 12% /
                      none 1002M 276K 1002M 1% /dev
                      none 1007M 140K 1006M 1% /dev/shm
                      none 1007M 80K 1006M 1% /var/run
                      none 1007M 0 1007M 0% /var/lock
                      none 1007M 0 1007M 0% /lib/init/rw
                      /dev/sda2 117G 89G 28G 77% /media/disk

Comment

Originally posted by huflor
                        i didnt get stuck anywhere. went to the login screen, i logged in and now i'm back here
                        You didn't say what happened when you logged in. Did the Desktop appear and are you running from it now, or did you just get a console screen?
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X