This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWord problems since upgrade to Lucid Lynx

1. KWord is presenting a panel labeled "KWord". It has controls for "Connect shapes", "Create path", "Text editing tool", and a few others. How do I make it go away? I have nothing selected under Dockers and only File under Toolbars Shown. The button in the top right gives me a choice of embedding the panel or floating it.

2. The font Sans Serif looks terrible. For example, the top of the "e" is almost filled in. Any suggestions?

3. There is no Help in the File menu. Is that right?

4. Insert | Variable | Date has disappeared. Any way to recover it?

I always liked KWord because it starts more quickly than OpenOffice Word. Is it time to switch now? The fonts look fine in OO (and every other application).
    Attached Files

Re: KWord problems since upgrade to Lucid Lynx

When I run KWord from the command prompt, I get many errors:

$ kword
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkwordpart.so"
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/libkwordpart.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdeui (KAction) KActionCollection::setComponentData: this does not work on a KActionCollection containing actions!
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/defaulttools.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/kopabackgroundtool.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/paragraphtool.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/divineproportionshape.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/textshape.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/artistictextshape.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/kritashape.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/pathshapes.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/pictureshape.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/spreadsheetshape.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libxsltexport.so"
    kword(9573)/koffice (filter manager) KoFilterManager::filterAvailable: The library "" does not offer a check_ "" function.

kword(9573)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/local/share/mime/magic"
    kword(9573)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
    kword(9573)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/home/jeffbarish/.local/share/mime/magic"
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/jeffbarish/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/kofficedockers.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/krita_ctlcs_plugin.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/spacenavigator.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    connect failed: No such file or directory
    Enchant dict for "en_US" 0xbd15888
    kword(9573)/kdeui (KAction) KActionCollection::setComponentData: this does not work on a KActionCollection containing actions!
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/kofficescan.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/krossmodulekword.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/textvariables.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    kword(9573)/kotext TextTool:ointToPosition: Clicking in not fully laid-out textframe
    QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '-1' out of range
    QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '-1' out of range

Comment

1 - That looks to be a fixed docker for some reason - dunno why that one would be immutable in a word processor

2 - i don't see the font issue you are seeing, they look fine to my eyes

3 - need to install the help files koffice-doc-html

4 - Insert - variable - Fixed

The messages you see aren't errors per se, they are messages and can be safely ignored unless you see a crash or lockup

The Koffice folks themselves do not yet recommend it for overall general use at this time, probably issues like #1 above have not been fleshed out enough.
      Attached Files

Comment

http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=96

check out koffice's forums for some more discussions on these things

Comment

Working...
        X