This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDEInit could not launch ...

So I added an application launcher to the taskbar and shoved a few commonly used apps in it. Everything works fine except one weird glitch with one app (ktimetracker, used to be called karm). Whenever I launch it I get the error message "KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/ktimetracker'"
    ...and the app launches anyway. None of the other apps I have in the launcher do this, just that one.
    I'm not (intentionally) trying to run it as root or as another user. Just plain old launching it as me.

Any ideas?

[img width=400 height=153]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4073/ktimetracker.png[/img]
    Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Re: KDEInit could not launch ...

bump.
    Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Interesting. I just tried to launch the application from the Menu and got the pop-up as well. However, acknowledging it does not result in the application starting. I'd say this is a bug and needs to be reported over on KDE Community Forums.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

WOW!!

I just discovered something serious about this issue with Ktimetracker. When launching it, and the pop-up appears and I acknowledge it, that Kontact, which is running, and where, in Special Application Settings > Geometry > Desktop I have it set to Force > 1esktop 1, and so, is running on that desktop, gets changed to Remember > 1esktop 1 and is now running on that desktop!!!

That, I feel, is a serious bug. I note that the description for Ktimetracker, that it is "a component of the KDE PIM module" of which, Kontact is part.

So, is this a bug that needs to be reported on KDE Community Forums (a bug in the application itself), or on Launchpad?

Comment

Hm, I did not really get that, snowhog

But I was going to ask devnulljp whether he's got kontact open already and whether it doesn't just work as part of the pim suite already.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I've posted this issue on KDE Community Forums as KTimeTracker.

Edit: Well, don't I feel the dolt. :P

KTimeTracker is part of Kontact. As I have Kontact running, of course there are going to be problems trying to launch it again!! I've modified my post on KDE Community Forums.

Comment

Well, yes, it is part of kontact. But so is akregator or kmail. If you try and load those a second time there is no complaining pop-up!?

So you do have a point!
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hey. I don't have Kontact running. If I launch ktimetracker from the K menu, it starts up normally, same if I Alt+F2 and type in ktimetracker. It's just from the app launcher in the taskbar.
                EDIT: ps -A | grep kontact shows that kontact is running, although I didn't do that specifically.
                But still, ktimetracker starts normally from the K menu or At-F2, it's juts form the app launcher.
                None of the other apps in the launcher do this.
                Weird.

Comment

Working...
                X