This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok issues

I decided to give Linux another try, and much to my satisfaction, Kubuntu has hit a proverbial home-run with this release giving me a reprieve from Windows. Anyway, I'm having issues with Amarok. I placed all my MP3's in my music folder and fired up Amarok and the program looked as if it was playing each song I had in about three seconds. I
    like Amarok, but for whatever reason it will not play my MP3's it will play through my entire collection in about two
    minutes like it was stuck on fast forward. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Amarok issues

Stop using Amarok. All the incarnations of it since version 1.4 have not been improvements other than what it looks like. The new version doesn't handle audio CDs well either. The developers tout it as an excellent application for "all your music needs." Yeah, sure. :P :-X

Many of us in Kubuntu land have had it with Amarok version 2. Looks over function don't cut it. There are many other alternatives out there. While they don't have all the glitz that Amarok 2 has, they work. VLC and Bangarang are two such.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I used VLC as a media player (not music) how is Banshee compared to VLC and say XMMS? It's such a shame, Amarok seems to have so much promise.

I appreciate the warning

Comment

Originally posted by leviathan
        I decided to give Linux another try, and much to my satisfaction, Kubuntu has hit a proverbial home-run with this release giving me a reprieve from Windows. Anyway, I'm having issues with Amarok. I placed all my MP3's in my music folder and fired up Amarok and the program looked as if it was playing each song I had in about three seconds. I
        like Amarok, but for whatever reason it will not play my MP3's it will play through my entire collection in about two
        minutes like it was stuck on fast forward. Any ideas?
        Have you installed the restricted extras from medibuntu?

Comment

With the extras installed from the medibuntu repositories I don't have any problems with Amarok.

Comment

Amaroc works well for me. (other than CDs) Bangarang is excellent for CDs.

I also found Exaile to be a very nice player because it allows playing all of the Shoutcast stations right out of the box. Something most of the players won't do.
            Ya hear that? That's the blues callin' baby.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBlues
              Amaroc works well for me. (other than CDs) Bangarang is excellent for CDs.

I also found Exaile to be a very nice player because it allows playing all of the Shoutcast stations right out of the box. Something most of the players won't do.
              Exaile and Banshee work really well with CDs, Amarok is just so flaky considering they have had over two years since 1..4.10 to get it right.

Comment

While both are Gnome based, Exaile doesn't contain any MONO (that I saw in the simulated install), while Banshee pulls in quite a bit of MONO.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what is it about MONO that is so bad?

Comment

MONO is 'tied' to Microsoft 'as I understand it.' Do a search here in KFN (Search > Advanced search) and search on the single word MONO (search for and GreyGeek (by user and most relevant results first (Search order and you will discover everything you ever wanted to know about the subject.

Comment

Yep that exlains a lot. I didn't know about any of that but I'm glad to know it now.

Comment

I actually really enjoy using amarok 2.x.x but I do admit that it has some bugs that pop up here and there. Hopefully it will all smooth out with time.

Comment

I actually like it too now. I didn't at first, it just took some getting used to it. I like the lyrics view and I really like the Shoutcast feature.

Comment

I like it, too... ever since they've unlocked the layout. Before that, it was too unwieldy. Now I can combine the Media Sources and Context panes into a single tabbed pane.

But then, I rip my CDs and then forget them in the broom closet... I don't really miss not being able to play them, though it certainly is a shortcoming.

Comment

Yeah that is kind of aggravating. But Bangarang is great for that. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X