Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special window settings not working anymore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special window settings not working anymore?

I remember I was able to have applications stay in the system tray, and skip the taskbar, using special window/application settings on karmic. I tried the same after upgrading to lucid, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. What am I missing?

I can have an application show in the tray, but can't have it vanish from the task manager.

Re: Special window settings not working anymore?

You have to have the application running first:

System Settings > Window Behavior > Window Specific

Click on the application entry and click Modify... > Preferences

Check Skip taskbar and then select Remember and click on OK.

As to placing the application in the System Tray:

Right-click the K Menu button and select Menu Editor. Navigate to and click on the application entry you want in the System Tray and check Place in system tray. Click on File > Save and File > Quit.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is weird... I tried to follow these simple steps and they work fine except that I can make Opera appear with its respective icon on the systray... I also tried to make FF skip the taskbar and end up populating the systray but I failed once again...
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        You have to ...
        Have done so for two apps: Opera and PulseAudio Volume Control - both are GTK-based, if I know right. For none of them has it worked. I don't get the tray icon (unless I start them by hand - which is probably by design, since the tray only shows running apps), nor are their windows hidden in the taskbar. What's annoying is their window being shown in the taskbar - in order to have their taskbar tray icon displayed, I can place them in the list of KDE's startup programs.

Could it be that it doesn't work for non-Qt-based apps? 'Cos Amarok is properly hidden from the taskbar.

Comment

That's odd! I just installed a few language packs for OOo, re-applied the window rules and they started working. From my point of view, the issue is closed. And I think it's likely that I won't be able to reproduce it.

Comment

Working...
          X