This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt+Tab effects don't work

I have Enable desktop effects turned on in System Settings, and Compositing is active. Desktop effects in general work well -- I get transparency, wobbly windows, and the desktop cube animation with no problems whatsoever.

However, none of the window switching effects work. I've tried Box Switch, Cover Switch, and Flip switch and not one of them does anything.

I dimly recall this being a problem with one of the earlier releases of KDE 4, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Has anyone else encountered this, and is there an easy fix?

Re: Alt+Tab effects don't work

What video card model / drivers? None of the switch effects were available with my former ATI Radeon HD / fglrx. Desktop settings panel will through an error message when trying to enable them. Works now with Nvidia proprietary drivers, dunno about others.

Comment

I'm actually using the nvidia proprietary drivers right now. It doesn't do anything -- I can select the effect, it doesn't trigger an error message of any kind... it just... does nothing. All the other desktop effects work, though, which is what confuses the heck out of me.

Comment

I just have to ask the obvious: You do have more than one application running, and on more than one virtual desktop when attempting Alt+Tab, yes?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

More than one application yes. On more than one desktop? Well, yes, at the moment, but that shouldn't affect alt-tab. I have four applications on Desktop 1 and it should be able to show the fancy tab transitions between those four.

Comment

What do you have set for System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > General > Common Settings > Effect for window switching? I have it set to Flip Switch
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Currently Cover Switch. It was set to Flip Switch a few days ago, though, when I first realized Alt+Tab effects weren't working.

Comment

The only thing that's ever caught me out with these effects is that it'll let you select multiple effects for the same function, and it just picks which one it uses by itself. Unticking everything except for the cover switch might be worth a try. Does it actually switch windows when you use alt+tab, just without any effects, or does it not switch windows at all?

Now that I check, my settings are actually an example, I have box switch and present windows selected, and it presents the windows when I use alt+tab.

Comment

Alt+tab will actually switch from window to window, but it doesn't show any visual effect. It doesn't even present the old 2d effect you used to get.

I've tried turning off everything but the one effect I want to use and that doesn't do anything either. It's... mystifying and unbelievably frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                  X