This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto permission to Win7 files?

I'm dual booting (sharing home computer) and I don't want to have duplicate personal files in both the Win7 AND the KU10.04 partitions. When I use Dolphin, it sees the Win7 partition just fine. I click. It prompts me for the password. I enter. It then allows me access. Great. But if I don't go through Dolphin and the password entry routine first, then other apps can't get access to Win7 files. Is there a way to permanently allow access while in KUbuntu to my Win7 stuff, and not always have to go through Dolphin first?

Re: Auto permission to Win7 files?

Yes. You have to add the partition that Win7 is locate on to your etc/fstab file so that it is mounted at boot.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, Snowhog, that sounds like the old days when you'd create something like myntfs/ in the /mnt/, then mount it on boot. But 10.04 (through Dolphin) seems to see it automatically and allow me to use it no problem -- after I put in my 10.04 password. Then all my apps (acroread, etc.) can get my Win7 partition files. But I'd like this permission to be automatic and permanent. Any ideas?

Comment

Again, you have to add the partition to your /etc/fstab. This is the 'only' way to get your 'non-linux FS' partitions to 'auto-mount' with permissions that allow you, the user, to have read/write access.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X