X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khotkeys not doing anything - SOLVED

Hi,

I've got two entries in kmenu that I want to be able to launch using shortcuts, I've set up and enabled both with shortcuts, and when I press the shortcut on the keyboard, nothing happens.

What I did:
    Right-click on kmenu - click on Menu editor
    Select Wine - Oxford Dictionary (working shortcut) select advanced tab
    Create shortcut key Ctrl+'
    Click Save
    All good, the shortcut key has been saved when I re-open, but if I press Ctrl+' - nothing happens.

Then I opened System Settings - Input Actions
    Oxford is there, is ticked, and Ctrl+' is shown under the trigger tab
    /home/aston/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc shows Enabled=true

It doesn't look like I'm the only one having this problem, does it work for anyone?

Cheers,
    Aston

Re: Khotkeys not doing anything

Started working by itself. Maybe Linux isn't so reboot independent.

Comment

Originally posted by efAston
      Started working by itself. Maybe Linux isn't so reboot independent.
      A simple logout would have done it for KDE.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted and could you please mark this topic as solved (see my signature).

Thank you
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

efAston: I take it you're a bit new to linux?

Order of problem solving for issues like this one:

Restart the service:
        Look in /etc/init.d for a list of most of your services. Audio, network and others can easily be restarted from a konsole terminal with a simple command.

For example: sudo service network restart

This doesn't work in all cases, but many.

Log out and back in:
        This will both shutdown and then restart most user services.

Restart the Display Manager: Log out, goto to TTY terminal (ALT-F1), log in and then type sudo kdm restart

Reboot: Last resort if the options above don't work.

In most cases, a full reboot is only needed when you install a new kernel or kernel installed driver (like nvidia drivers) to activate the new kernel or driver. Of course, sometimes it's quicker to reboot, but I encourage you to dig a little deeper and learn a new linux "tool"

Networking is a great example: You can turn devices on or off, change routes or countless other settings, experiment as you wish - then start over with a one line command.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK that's pretty useful since I have rebooted a couple of times when my laptop wouldn't connect to the wireless properly. I'm not being snide about Linux or anything BTW, in fact I make the comment because it's out of character. For me to change settings without being given indication that I need to do something else to make them take effect, and then have them not work until a later day when I try them, something's amiss, not whinging about it but there it is.

And toad, to be honest, I thought they removed the close question option, because I used to be able to find it and lately I can't :/.

Comment

Closed question? Oh, I never used that, never even noticed it I've always done it (in all forums) the way I put it in my signature...

And your comments weren't being taken as snide, no worries.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I don't think anyone thought that was snide at all - Thank goodness something mysterious happened that was good rather than bad!

For those of us who are used to linux and how it works - the worst thing someone new will do is reinstall over a problem rather than taking a few minutes to dig into it a bit. I always try and encourage a full investigation before wiping things out.

I think it's because most users are used to windows where technical support consists of "Reboot, Then Re-Install".

Re: Toad's request - the way it's done here is you return to your original post - the first one in the thread - then click on "Modify" and add an appropriate comment to the Subject line, i.e.

<Solved>
              <Resolved>
              <Work Around>

you get the idea...

It helps us trolls know something is fixed! Thanks

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X