Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After kubuntu install, how to install Gnome?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After kubuntu install, how to install Gnome?

I'll probably be a KDE user, but I'd like to also have Gnome. What's the best way after a successful Kubuntu 10.04 install to also install the latest Gnome?

Also, how do I know what KDE version I have? Is there a newer one? Does update always get the newer one?

Re: After kubuntu install, how to install Gnome?

You can install the Gnome Desktop, which gives you the option, when logging in, to do pick KDE or Gnome.

While in Kubuntu, start any graphical application, and then click on Help > About KDE to see what version you are running.

Welcome to FKN.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey, great. I've got 4.4.2. Do I do a normal global update and 4.4.3 comes automatically? Or do I have to do something special to get 4.4.3?

So if I want the Gnome desktop, what apt-get commands do I do to get it?

Comment

See HOWTO: Add KDE 4.4.3 PPA

As to Gnome Desktop. Do your self a favor and install Synaptic package manager first. You can do it from KPackageKit. Once Synaptic is installed, stop using KPackageKit - it sucks.

Run Synaptic and search on desktop and find the one for Gnome. Read the description to ensure you've got the correct package to install. If in doubt, ask here first.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X