This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED: Open Office spell checker won't accept non-english languages

I have installed French on my computer (system in English). I have an Open Office document in French and I have set the language to French(France) in Tools > Language for all the text. Yet when I go into the spelling checker, I can pick French as the text language in the drop-down box until my few remaining hairs fall out. As soon as I let go of the mouse button the text returns resolutely to English. Of course, almost every word is underlined with wavy red lines. (Secondary question: How do I turn those off?)

In OO > Tools > Options > Language settings > Languages, there seems to be a whole bunch of things clicked, including Australian English and Belgian French, neither of which I want. Apparently these are the languages I am supposedly able to pick as text languages.

Help, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Open Office spell checker won't accept non-english languages

have you installed the french dictionary in OpenOffice? If french french does not appear with a tick in the languages section then probably you don't have the dictionary.
    Wiggley red - turn off auto spell check (there is an icon on the tool bar)

Comment

Originally posted by peterroots
      have you installed the french dictionary in OpenOffice? If french french does not appear with a tick in the languages section then probably you don't have the dictionary.
      I have installed French in Linux. Do you have to specifically install it a second time for Open Office? That would be silly.

Strangely, when I open a document in English, clicking on Tools > Language does not give me the choice of "For selection", "For paragraph", etc. to which to apply a language choice. But when I open a document in French, it does.

In the spelling checker for the French document, the "Text language" drop-down at the top contains selections for all sorts of French (as well as all sorts of English). But as soon as I click on, say "French(France)", the drop-down goes right back to English(USA).

Just to see what would happen, I clicked to download "Modern French" again. So it saved an oxt file to my hard disk. What would I have to do now? Instructions are remarkable by their absence.

I find all this quite strange.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Found it! I had to go into Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages and change the default language for the document. Why the ^&*( didn't using the Tools Language work? It's always easier to do a thing like that rather than going and changing the options.

Oh, well, at least I see what to do now.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X