This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning over Network

I am trying to scan documents using a scanner (Brother MFC-8820D) that is attached via my home network.

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of 'howto's, etc? I've installed xsane, sane, sane-extras. When I run xsane, it doesn't detect the scanner (not that I particularly expected it to, since it's over the network). So I was looking for a howto about network scanner. The closest I could find is a ubuntu 9.10 guide (google 'scanninghowto' ubuntu and it should be the first result) about using a scanner that is attached to a networked computer, but that is not my situation. It's a stand-alone networked scanner.

Any tips?

Thank you,

Kurt

Re: Scanning over Network

First, welcome to KFN.

Multi-Function Printers are, IIRC, problematic in Linux. Initially, if you can, I suggest that you physically attach the printer to your PC and see if it gets detected, setup, and usable. Get it to work that way first, to include the scanner. If/once that is accomplished, then configuring it for use as a networked printer can be addressed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You'll likely want to bookmark this site: Brother drivers for Linux > download ( printer driver ) MFC-8820D
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can't say for brother scanners, but for my HP I had to edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and add net to the driver list and remark out all the ones I didn't actually need.

Then I added my server hostname to /etc/sane.d/net.conf and my network IP subnet to /etc/sane.d/saned.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X