This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact

Maybe this is just futile, but I have to ask.

First of all I love Lucid. It works, and was so easy to get to from Karmic.

Second, I want kontact to work without spending a coffee break for it to come up. I know nepomuk and akonadi and kontact all sort of work together, But it's so darned slow, and while my hardware platform is not the most brilliant, I think there may be something not quite right about kontact.

Anyone else having speed issues with kontact?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Re: Kontact

To troubleshoot, if you only start kmail (and not whole kontact), is it as slow to come up?

Comment

Actually I have resolved all my issues, based on what I saw going at the kde.org community forums. The word is that akonadi and nepomuk are irreversibly the foundation components of Kontact replacing Kresources. They acknowledge that it's going slowly. Sounds to me that instead of making a working product and then releasing it, they were quite satisfied to piecemeal the product. Probably too few human resources on that project to keep the old product maintained and develop the new. Doesn't matter.

I have stopped using Kontact and all its components. I'm now using T-Bird and Lightning. For my purposes, anyway, that combination is a perfect functional replacement and it is so much faster. Once I am sure that all my data has been moved from Kontact, then Kontact will be gone and like Amarok - never again.
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Interesting observation on performance. I've got a reasonably beefy system and don't have any speed issues, which is lucky for me because for my requirements T-Bird and Lightning doesn't cut it.

I suspect RAM is the significant factor rather than CPU.

Hope the developers can do something about it before they alienate too many users if, like you, they adopt the 'never again' attitude.
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

The only thing I'm having trouble with is Akonadi, which can't find a helping agent until I do the test manually and then restarting Kontact. Other than that, I love Kontact
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Kontact, kmail, korganizer, akonadi, nepomuk, et al are officially gone, purged - never again!!

Comment

Working...
            X