This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept or synaptic?

Which packet manager do you prefer on kde4.4.3? Synaptic or Adept?

Re: adept or synaptic?

I use Synaptic as the GUI package manager, and the apt tools from the console.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use Synaptic
      +1 and a few
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I used adept years ago my prior use of Kubuntu, I just returned to kubuntu and used kpackagekit for my extensive customization of multimedia and applications. Had no probems then or now, but plenty of oldtime cli guys still complaining.
        Custom amd x4 o/c 3800<br />8gb ram, radeon 5850<br />kde 4.7&nbsp; kernel 3 <br />Virtualbox winxp<br /><br />Dell precision m6300<br />4gb ram Quadro m1600<br />intell 2core 2k<br />kde4.7 kernel 3.0

Comment

I'm with Snowhog he's my hero! Synaptic + apt tools.

Comment

I use both on Adept and synaptic on occasions.

Adept has a nice interface and works far better than kpackagekit. I used to think it was a bit fisher-price but I think it's probably more newcomer friendly than synaptic. I wish the developer had not stopped working on it.

Obviously for speed of updates etc, there is nothing like apt-get.

Comment

synaptic + apt
              I want to be able to use kpackagekit, but I often cannot find packages even though I know they are there. The search interface on synaptic is much more forgiving if you are unsure about spelling, or you can just browse packages. I can't figure out how to browse packages on kpackagekit! It's sometimes fun just to scroll through and see what's available. I don't use Adept because for a while it was pretty buggy and then development stopped.

Comment

Not simply using synaptic, I've actually replaced it all (kpackagekit and the rest) with synaptic, update-manager and update-notifier.
                I really hate kpackagekit. It gives way too little info about what's going on, it only tells you of dependencies after you click apply and managing packages isn't as easy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  I use Synaptic as the GUI package manager, and the apt tools from the console.
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X