This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open office compose special characters

Could someone please help me install the open office extension "compose special characters"?

I've already downloaded it but I don't really know how to install it. The open office site instructions just say install it. I'd appreciate your help

(I'm using the open office version that comes with lucid lynx)
    Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Re: open office compose special characters

open Open office, go to "tools" , then extension handler (maybe it's add-ons - i'm not sure, mine is in french) and then click on "add", which should let you search your /home directory and select the add on.

Comment

Originally posted by miKeyBabid
      open Open office, go to "tools" , then extension handler (maybe it's add-ons - i'm not sure, mine is in french) and then click on "add", which should let you search your /home directory and select the add on.

Hi, mikeybabid! I did the above: I found extension manager under tools. Added the file AddonUI.xcu from the compose special characters folder i downloaded because it's the only file the extension manager recognizes. I restarted openoffice writer and found the compose characters under insert. But when i click it, an error message comes out - I've attached an image of the message. What else can i do?
      Attached Files
      Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Comment

you don't need to open the add-on with arc or anything like that. You just save it directly to disk, and then import it following the above steps.

Mike

Comment

The 'Compose Special Character' oOO extension that you downloaded is named ComposeSepcialCharacters.oxt

Assuming you saved it to ~/Downloads, then start Open Office, click on Tools > Extension Manager... > Add... and navigate to ~/Downloads, click on ComposeSepcialCharacters.oxt, scroll down to the bottom of the License Agreement and click on Accept and then on Close. You are done. The extension is now loaded and ready for use in Open Office.

To insert special characters in a document, click on Insert > Compose Character... and follow the instructions.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X