X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

program 'eqonomize' problem

Originally posted by Snowhog
    I think you have to chalk it up to either coincidence, or some other factor - hardware flakiness? - because nothing installed in Linux is going to affect any other OS that is on the same HD in it's own partitions. Both OS's are isolated from each other.

I could possibly see, maybe, a driver upgrade to a video card, where the video card had an EPROM or other volitile/writable memory, causing an issue in Linux (if such an upgrade were performed in Windows). But I'm not a tech-spert in that area, so that is purely conjecture.
    Maybe. It is a brand new decent quality laptop that was working as well as Windows 7 is able, which admittedly seems much better overall than previous versions, and it performed all functions well... including video performance. I installed Karmic from a commercial disk, and it ran just fine except for the video thing. I didn't initially notice the problem in Windows because I rarely boot into it, and because it didn't occur to me that there could be a problem there. But in the course of investigating the problem (researching video cards and drivers) I tried to play video in Windows and found exactly the same performance issues regardless of playing from file, CD, DVD. That eliminated the question of codecs.

I can only guess that the initial install did something unfriendly to the video configuration, which was somehow remedied with the upgrade. I'm pleased because it is a little disappointing to have a new computer that performs so poorly. There was also an issue of occasional hesitation (1-3 secs) while doing some routine desktop operation like changing windows. This is a quad-core processor and maybe there was an issue with allocating resources. I installed the CPU widget and it seemed that usage was much less consistent between cores than it is now. I also noticed reduced battery life after installing Karmic, so that might point to a CPU management issue.

Now if I can only get Eqonomize to load again everything will be great. Unfortunately it tries to open, flashes the GUI, and then immediately closes. Have been trying to figure it out all day.

Originally posted by spyder79
    Now if I can only get Eqonomize to load again everything will be great. Unfortunately it tries to open, flashes the GUI, and then immediately closes. Have been trying to figure it out all day.
    Launch it from a console. That way, you can see the messages that are generated. Might provide you with a clue as to what is going wrong.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

From Terminal:

voodooman@voodooman-laptop:~$ eqonomize
      QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/voodooman/.config/ibus/bus
      Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
      eqonomize: symbol lookup error: eqonomize: undefined symbol: _ZN9QHashData13detach_helperEPFvPNS_4NodeEPvEPFvS1 _Ei
      <unknown program name>(3570)/: Communication problem with "eqonomize" , it probably crashed.
      Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name net.sourceforge.eqonomize was not provided by any .service files" "

Comment

Re: program 'eqonomize' problem

I'm going to suggest that you attempt to upgrade the program. It is available in Lucid: Version: 0.6-4ubuntu2
        But you have to decide if you want to try this.

First would be with:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install --reinstall eqonomize
        If that doesn't work, then uninstall your current version:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get purge eqonomize
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install eqonomize
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X