X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank screen after updates. (RESOLVED)

Hi.

The Synaptic package handler advised about a 100 updates so I did the usual and away it went.

It appeared to have got rid of some kde packages but I did not take much notice as busy with other things (silly me). After booting up this pm my screen came up with 'xsession unable to launch ""xsession ---"" not found; falling back to default session.' I clicked the 'ok' as the X cursor was displaying and waited . . . .

Nothing happened - the screen stayed black.

I've tried various things and the latest bit of feedback was 'Autolaunch error X11 initislization failure - plasma-desktop (2273); KUnique Application: pipe closed unexpectedly'.

I seem to have a couple of broken packages but they do not repair and are related to kde rather than plasma (!) and I've tried stopping kdm doing the dpkg stuff and so on. No luck!

Any ideas appreciated. NOTE this was updating not upgrading - the upgrade went fine.

Oh and look at: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111612.0
    this is what I experienced more or less. Seems related.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Blank screen after updates.

I hear of a number of people that had problems.

Boot into rescue mode (hit shift after the BIOS post to display the grub menu and choose the recovery option).

When offered select the command prompt with networking (assuming you have a wired connection). Then type

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    That will install any hitherto downloaded but uninstalled packages or will return error messages which you can report back.

It might also be worth typing

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and then

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Just in case there was a dodgy package in the first download that has since been replaced.

Then type startx and see what happens

HTH

Comment

Re: Blank screen after updates.

Thanks Liquidator,

I have actually done what you suggest a couple of times already But I'll give it another go tomorrow. Maybe by then updated packages will be in the pipeline. The main thing is it does seem related to the updates so hopefully it can be easily solved without my having to undertake anything really indepth!!

Ok so today at 1800 (UK) I did the usual (see above from Liquidator) and we are back to normal. Good work to whoever but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I don't see that a complete NOOB would have been very happy despite the great support from this forum.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
      GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
      Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
      X