This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached monitor has a fuzzy display

I am running the live CD for 10.04 with a T61P laptop that has an attached monitor. The monitor is a 1080P TV/monitor. When I run the live CD the attached monitor the display is fuzzy. By that I mean that vertical lines look ragged as if they were the edge of a piece of paper that was cut by a pinking shears. The text in some resolutions is not readable. The laptop display itself looks OK. The dual screen appears to work fine other than the fuzzy appearance. I have 9.10 on the laptop now and it works perfectly with the attached display but doesn't support the dual screen. I'm looking forward to using 10.04 with the dual screen support but I'm afraid to upgrade until I know the problem has a resolution. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John B.

Re: Attached monitor has a fuzzy display

It's likely not being set at the correct resolution. The short answer is yes it can be configured but there's not really any information in your post.

Start by getting the exact model number of your video card and it's RAM size.
    Then get the resolution and scan freqs. of the monitor in question.
    Next, verify your video card is capable of producing the resolution you require. Some older cards or cards with little memory cannot produce high resolutions.
    Then, search the internet and see what others have done. For example, in google type

xorg T61p external 1080p

and change the 1080p to the model of TV. See what comes up.

It appears most T61p's have the video card: nVidia Quadro FX 570M.

Assuming this is correct - you may only need to install the nvidia driver and configure with nvidia-settings.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr,
      Thank you for responding. Here is the information you requested.
      * My monitor is Envision L24H898. There are no specific web references to T61P and that monitor.
      * There were references on the web indicating with some other monitors setting the refresh to 59.5 or 59.7 fixed the problem but I can't seem to change that from the panel - how do I do that?
      * Kununtu 9.10 works the monitor fine in either the 1680x1050 resolution of the laptop or 1920x1080 of the monitor. Both are crystal clear. Karmic it won't expand the desktop across multiple screens and when it does screen cloning it cuts off the bottom tool bar. As a result I operate it with a docking station and the lid closed.
      * Currently there are only open source drivers on the karmic system
      * I believe you are correct about the video card and memory

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      John B.

Comment

Currently there are only open source drivers on the karmic system
        I doubt you'll be able to do what you want with nv or nouveau drivers.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X