This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] servicemenu-rootactions

Okay, I know that Lucid has only been 'final' for a few days, so ...

I miss my Root Actions service menus in Dolphin and Konqueror. Rog131 has not yet packaged it for Lucid (hint, hint) - yet.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: servicemenu-rootactions

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Rog131 has not yet packaged it for Lucid (hint, hint) - yet.
    It is there in the ppa, just renamed to 'kde-service-menu-rootactions':
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/u...u-rootactions/

Comment

Re: servicemenu-rootactions

He PM'd me about that. As soon as I saw his reply, I installed it from the CLI. Happy camper am I. 8)

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] servicemenu-rootactions

I'm unable to get Root Actions Service Menu installed. Initially I downloaded the individual file from Rog131 but after I tried to install was greeted with message "Package servicemenu-rootactions has no installation candidate". Then I added the whole samrog131 PPA and tried again but still got the message about no installation candidate.

Would appreciate any advice. I'm very much a newbie.

Mazzo

Comment

Originally posted by Mazzo
          "Package servicemenu-rootactions has no installation candidate".
          That's not the right package. As kubicle pointed out, it's renamed to "kde-service-menu-rootactions"

Comment

I'm still unsuccessful.

I downloaded file:///home/don/Downloads/kde-service-menu-rootactions_2.4.10~lucid~ppa1_all.deb and installed it with gdebi.

I then ran "kdesudo kate"

Opened "/etc/apt/sources.list", copied and pasted "# Rog131's repo
            deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ubuntu intrepid main
            deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ubuntu intrepid main"

Saved and closed kate.

Opened the terminal, copied and pasted "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kde-service-menu-rootactions"

and the last bits of the result were
            "Fetched 1B in 3s (0B/s)
            Reading package lists... Done
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            kde-service-menu-rootactions is already the newest version.
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 90 not upgraded.
            don@donsP5:~$ "

I've opened Dolphin but there's no facility when I click File to open it as root.

I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Comment

@Mazzo

Hmm...which version of kubuntu are you using? Looks like you manually installed the package for lucid (kubuntu 10.04), but added the repositories for intrepid (kubuntu 8.10). I don't immediately recall any changes that might be kubuntu version dependent, but it's always a possibility (my memory is not what it used to be :P), so you should definitely install the version available for your version of kubuntu just to be sure.

And you don't need to do both (install manually and add a repo), but I recommend you add the repo for your version so you'll get possible upgrades installed easily.

I've opened Dolphin but there's no facility when I click File to open it as root
              The root actions should be available in a "Root Actions" submenu in the context menu that appears when you right-click files (or folders) in dolphin...if that is not the case you should check that the two rootactions*.desktop files are correctly installed in a "ServiceMenus" directory. (this can be either /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/, for all users, or ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/, for a single user..."~" is a shortcut for /home/your_username)

Comment

I am using Kubuntu 10.4. You were quite right - the program had installed, I was looking in the wrong place to access root actions. Your info about right clicking on a file in Dolphin revealed all. I was pretty sure that in an earlier distribution of Kubuntu and using Konqueror I right clicked on File to gain access.

Thanks very much for putting me on the right track.

Comment

Working...
                X