This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uninstall nepomuk?

Just upgraded to Lucid Lynx and so far it looks lovely - love the Thunderbird 3 features!
    No problems found yet but I have a question.

When I rebooted after upgrade Nepomuk started indexing my files. With every upgrade I've done since first using Kubuntu, there seems to be file searching stuff like nepomuk or akonadi or strigi. I have never once used any of these successfully!
    When I need to look for a file I use the 'find file' menu in Dolphin file manager. Works fine every time - I'm not a sophisticated user, I'm not looking for system files, just documents, images, songs etc.
    So here's my question. Can I safely uninstall Nepomuk and Akonadi and Strigi etc? I NEVER use them so they are probably just taking up memory. Or would uninstalling them somehow adversely affect my system? Or is my Dolphin filesearch (which is the only one I really need) somehow linked to them so that it wouldn't work if I remove them?

Thanks,

Bernieszu
    I'm only here so often because I'm too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Re: uninstall nepomuk?

The Dolphin 'Find files' is, I believe, linked to Nepomuk/Strigi. Once Nepomuk/Strigi finishes the initial indexing, it will only occassionally 'wake up' and do it's thing. At least, that's my observation on my system (Karmic - haven't "done the deed" and gone to Lucid).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog,

I had a feeling it might not be the best idea to uninstall!

Lucid upgrade has seemed very trouble free so far.

Comment

If you don't want to un-install it, you can disable it by going into System Settings -> Advanced -> Desktop Search and then un-check the Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop button. You would then be able to see if it makes any difference to the Dolphin search feature.

Regards .....
        Kubuntu User #9802
        Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

Thanks Martin,

Will try it tomorrow and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by bitzbox
            If you don't want to un-install it, you can disable it by going into System Settings -> Advanced -> Desktop Search and then un-check the Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop button.
            Thanks for this. Boot up is much faster, and even Firefox is faster - it looks as though nepomuk was messing around with that too. CPU usage straight after login is also down.

On another forum I found that you can stop the server loading with
            Code:
            cd /usr/share/autostart
            sudo mv nepomukserver.desktop nepomukserver.desktop.goaway
            I haven't done that (even though it's hogging 20MB of memory) as the machine's response is way better after disabling it.

Comment

I have found similar improvements to my system load after disabling nepomuk.

Comment

Mine was crawling after the upgrade, but it seems OK now after disabling nepomuk. When I checked, there was always 7 or 8 nepomuk processes running plus the server.
                Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Originally posted by bitzbox
                  If you don't want to un-install it, you can disable it by going into System Settings -> Advanced -> Desktop Search and then un-check the Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop button. You would then be able to see if it makes any difference to the Dolphin search feature.

Regards .....
                  +1, tyvm

Comment

Working...
                  X