Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is System Settings > Advanced > PolicyKit Authorization > org.freedesktop

I see that there are packages installed regarding "policykit" but there is seems to be no way to set myself as a user for a partition without being prompted for a password because the systemsettings>>advanced>> policykitautorization is gone under Lucid.

I don't really want to add it to fstab and this was nice under Karmic.

Help?

Re: Where is System Settings > Advanced > PolicyKit Authorization > org.freedesktop

Well, I first experienced this 'quirk' in Karmic. My 'fix' is detailed in External USB HD/partition ownership issue quirk and fix.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Where is System Settings > Advanced > PolicyKit Authorization > org.freedesktop

I think this is a different issue. I can write to it and modify files once I enter my password for a session. I just can't mount or unmount it with the kde dialogue prompting me for a password. It is annoying. Being that it is a hard drive partition on my laptop, I suppose I could enter it in fstab (ntfs)

Comment

You can, in Dolphin, access the partition, and then change the ownership from root:root to user:root (where, user is your user name).

Comment

I assume you mean right click the created folder in media, then properties >>permissions. It doesn't error out but it does not "stick" when I change user to my user name. When I open the dialogue again, it says root and root. Again, I do have disk access. I just need to enter my password when mounting. In Karmic, I just went to SystemSettings >> Advanced >> Policy Kit Authorizations and allowed my user to be able mount and unmount devices.

I don't think it is the same issue. I don't have an ownership issue that prevents me from accessing files on the partition, I have no way around the mount command for internal partitions without entering my password to mount. I do have rw permission at that point. USB hard disks mount without issue.

Comment

Is policykit installable from the repos provided with 10.04?

Comment

There are policykit and policykit-1 packages. The latter are used in Lucid and come installed. I have the same issue on another laptop that has been running Lucid since alpha-3. I noted that the policykit icon was absent from SystemSettings >> Advanced at that time and assumed it would return when the final release came out. I installed everything that had the tag "policykit" and the policykit icon never returned. I have tried actually downloading the .deb packages and untarring them to find the executables in order to find out where they are located in the system and try to run them from terminal. One is called /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1

It I run it, the terminal tells me that it is already running.

Here are the packages that are installed without me installing more policykit related items

polkit-1-gnome
              libpolkit-gobject-1-0
              polkit-kde-1
              libpolkit-backend-1-0
              libpolkit-qt-1-0
              libpolkit-agent-1-0
              policykit-1
              policykit-desktop-privileges

The last one seems like I could edit but I don't know what I am doing with that It creates a file called
              /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla
              and that file contains this:

[Mounting, checking, etc. of internal drives]
              Identity=unix-group:admin
              Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-*;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-ata-smart*
              ResultActive=yes

[Change CPU Frequency scaling]
              Action=org.gnome.cpufreqselector
              ResultActive=yes

[Setting the clock]
              Action=org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.*
              ResultActive=yes

I changed the "group" to my username and rebooted, but I got the same result. I put it back to admin.

Comment

Either from Alt+F2 or from the console, does PolicyKit launch with:
                Code:
                kdesudo kcmshell4 kcm_pkk_authorization

Comment

Re: Where is System Settings > Advanced > PolicyKit Authorization > org.freedes

I just tried this.

The result
                  Code:
                  kcmshell(4572)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "kcm_pkk_authorization.desktop" not found
                  kcmshell(4572) locateModule: Could not find module ' "kcm_pkk_authorization" '.
                  I looked in /usr/share/kde4/services and sure enough there is not a thing regarding policykit.

Do I need to install something else to get this going?

Comment

bump

Has the policykit frontend been removed? How do I get the functionality back? Do I need install other packages other than what is listed in z few posts back?

Code:
                    kdesudo kcmshell4 kcm_pkk_authorization
                    gave an error that kcm_pkk_authorization.desktop was not found.

Comment

Well. When I suggested on May 1, I was still running Karmic. I installed (fresh) Lucid yesterday, and am now using it as my main OS. Just tried what I suggested, and you are right. It doesn't work in Lucid.

Comment

I find this maddening, as it seems a step backward, and aside from adding the internal partition to fstab, now one has to be bothered with a password for every mount/unmount (unless password time has not expired). I filed a bug but I am not sure if removing this feature was an intention.

Comment

In Launchpad where I filed the bug, a response was given that KDE did not create a port for policykit this time:-( in 4.4.2

Comment

Working...
                          X