This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Partially Resolved - Bug] No Sound in FF - No Sound in VLC/Dragon

I thought the problem would be the same as before, where you could simply adjust the PCM volume, but that's not the case.

I got 2 soundcards, Intel HDA & Creative X-Fi, I used to swap the speaker cables to different soundcards each time I switch between Windows & Kubuntu 8.04.

I realised that X-Fi works partially under Kubuntu 10.04, no flash sound from FF nor videos. System sounds works though.

So I switched back to the built in Intel HDA & set it as preferred device & it worked for FF, then it stopped.

System sounds + Amarok are working just fine but no sound from FF, VLC & Dragon.

Again all my channels are set up to highest volume & the current device used is set as preferred.

Any ideas?

Re: No Sound in FF - No Sound in VLC/Dragon

There seems to be a bug in the System multimedia settings, though the default device is set to whatever my speakers are connected to, it sends some of the media to the other sound card.

I have everything set to X-Fi, system notifications & audio is being output there. Though X-Fi is set to default for video, the system seems to send it to the Intel HDA soundcard.

Since Kubuntu 10.04 supports X-Fi “as it seems”, I no longer need the internal Intel HDA (only used it for Kubuntu 8.04) so I disabled it from BIOS.

This is a workaround I'd say, it did solve my problem but others with more than one audio device might suffer, this bug needs fixing.

In short, setting an audio device as default for a category (i.e. Notifications, Music, Video, Communications & accessibility) while having more than one audio device doesn't always work, system will sometimes skip your default device & send to others.

Comment

Re: [Partially Resolved - Bug] No Sound in FF - No Sound in VLC/Dragon

Thanks for the advice. on my system there was no sound in games, And it showed that I not only have the intel audio, But something called jack audio as well, I dont know what that is, But after selecting jack audio as the preferred device in multimedia, Then switching back to the intel audio hardware, My game sounds started working.

This tells me that something in a configuration file somewhere, got reset when i switched devices. Possibly due to this jack audio failing to work properly, But either way, It forced a reset of my configuration, That caused my hardware to start working.

I am on Kubuntu 10.0.4 64bit, Up to date as of aug 27 2010.

Comment

Working...
      X