Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Firefox Integration: Has anyone seen performance increases?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Firefox Integration: Has anyone seen performance increases?

I am runniing FF 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 9.10
    asus eeepc 900 (900MHz Celeron-M, 1GB DDR2)

I realize my netbook is low in specs but frequently FF has the CPU pinned above 90%. Certainly if I am streaming content and sometimes just on basic sites.

I am wondering what difference Firefox integration has made in 10.04.

Please comment whether your experience/performance has gotten better, worse or you really see no difference.

Thanks
    KDE neon LTS 5.12

Re: New Firefox Integration: Has anyone seen performance increases?

Originally posted by finny388
    I am runniing FF 3.5.9 on Kubuntu 9.10
    asus eeepc 900 (900MHz Celeron-M, 1GB DDR2)

I realize my netbook is low in specs but frequently FF has the CPU pinned above 90%. Certainly if I am streaming content and sometimes just on basic sites.

I am wondering what difference Firefox integration has made in 10.04.

Please comment whether your experience/performance has gotten better, worse or you really see no difference.

Thanks
    Hello finny388
    I am using the same hardware (EEE 900 with Celeron-M, 1 GB Memory) with Kubuntu 10.04 (I was using 9.10 before).

Kde integration allows firefox to use KDE's original file/browser dialogs, plasma notification area and file associations. And does not have much impact on or bring any improvement to it's performance.

To tell you the truth, I don't use Firefox in any of my machines anymore (I check it sometimes just see what improvements have been made), because I always found it somewhat slow and a CPU hog (this might be due to flash. From my experiences, I can say that FF still has problems witn flash on linux, at least on *buntus) when compared to others. If you're not addicted to it's extensions, I suggest you to give a chance to other -faster- browsers out there.

- Google Chrome is based on popular webkit engine (which works like a charm) and is incredibly fast, but has no KDE integration.

- Rekonq is based on KDE and webkit too, and imho, it is has all the advantages and disadvantages of KDE (such as well desktop integration and being somewhat slow, and unresponsive).

- Opera is... well, it is probably the best browser for linux, out there. Just give it a try, and I'm sure you won't regret it. Its major drawback is, it is not based on KDE too. So it doesn'T integrate well with your desktop.

Comment

Working...
    X