X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i upgrade from cd

Hi,

i am pretty new to Linux and would like to know what commands do i run to upgrade from 9.10 to the latest 10.04

i have downloaded and burnt the image to cd.

i know how to upgrade via the apt-get but i want to upgrade a few test machines and there is a limit on my downloads so i want to upgrade off cd instead.

any help most grateful..

Re: How do i upgrade from cd

IF you can backup your /home directories on the PCs, then (most here) will tell you that a fresh installation of Lucid from the LiveCD is a better alternative than an upgrade. Upgrades just don't (always) result in a favorable result.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That would mean reinstalling apps again....is there any way to save these ...

Thanks

Comment

The issue you are going to have when 'upgrading' from Karmic (or any installed verison) to the newer version, is dependancies. The LiveCD is almost certainely not going to have everything on it that will be needed. Performing an upgrade this way may be possible if you use the Alterenate DVD instead.

But, to answer your question 'directly,' you would add the cdrom repository into your sources and disable all the others. This makes the cdrom the only repository that can be used during any updates/upgrades. But again, beware. Attempting to upgrade an existing system (using a LiveCD), one that works now, may (and likely would) result in a broken system. If you are going to try this, download/burn the Alternate DVD instead.

I don't claim to be an expert in this - I've never attempted what you are suggesting - so you would be wise to wait and see what others here have to say on this matter.

Added: See Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and scroll down to Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X