This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to Lucid 10.04 complete

I thought some might find my experience moving to Kubuntu 10.04 helpful. So, here goes . . .

After the painful 1.5 day long upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, (including a install of Kubuntu and an attempted kernel upgrade to 2.6.33), sometime ago it was with fear and trepidation I decided to make the move from Kubuntu 9.10 to 10.04. I learned from 9.04/9.10 that ATI video cards are not well mannered in Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

After reading this and the Ubuntu forums it was clear that a fresh install was in order. While at I decided to move from the 32 to 64 bit desktop disto. In preparation for the install I moved /home to it's own partition, copied all the relevant forum threads to a text file. Once satisfied that enough contingencies were planned for I began.

I brought the system up on the live CD first to check out the system behavior on a 64 bit kernel, the sound, video and desktop effects worked fine. I then launched the install from CD with in the live CD session. One note - I did not use the /home partition during installation but mounted after the fact to assure my entire environment was undisturbed, It took a total of 20 minutes. After adding the necessary mount points in the fstab and a "sudo mount -a" my environment was back! After installing Firefox and updates and addons, (that took another 50 minutes due to a slow network connection), my system is as it was at 10:00 PM this evening. Except much faster.

My advice for upgrading/installing to 10.04 is to review the forums, move /home to it own partition with GParted, test drive from live CD, once you are confident with the test drive install from within the live session.

Props to the community here and the Ubuntu/Kubuntu development team for this install going flawlessly!

Re: Move to Lucid 10.04 complete

Nice commentary. Glad that the process was a success for you. Welcome to Lucid!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X