This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the Advantages

I am currently running 9.10 and I have no problems. Until I upgrade my computer in the next 6 months, I'm running an 1.8Ghz AMD Athlon 2200XP, 32-bit system.

What are the advantages of upgrading to the 10.04 32-bit OS?

Please advise, I need the advice.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: What are the Advantages

IMO unless something isn't working, I'd wait for the kinks to be worked out before I'd upgrade.

I think you'll want to eventually because 10.04 is an "LTS" - Long Term Support - release so once you've got that set up you should be good for three years!

If you're getting a new 'puter soon - I wouldn't upgrade your current install.

Please Read Me

Comment

That sounds like good advice. I should have the new system up in about 6 months. At that time I'll also go to 64-bit!

mhumm2
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Or in case you just like to tinker you could set aside a separate (~10GB) root partition on which to do a fresh install and share the /home of your present install.

Running the latest is the way to impress the girls 8)

Comment

I was having a lot of problems with Karmic, so I quess my situation is different, but for me the big advantage is a lot less crashing, and I can now enable different activities in different desktops, which is HUGE! As I've said elsewhere, this completely changes my opinion of KDE4. (I tried activating Desktop effects, and that was still a no go.)

Most of the complaints I've been hearing have been about wifi support, so your type of connection should probably influence your decision, but HEY, if in doubt, WHY NOT TRY THE LIVE CD?

Comment

Working...
          X