This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox crashes on new 10.04LTS install

I have a new "vanilla" install, using essentially all default values (except for time zone, etc) on an HP Z200 workstation, but find that Firefox cannot work on it! I got it to work once but it crashed when I tried to "Edit" "Preferences". And now it always crashes on startup, without loading a single page.
    When I start it from a terminal using "/usr/bin/firefox" I get messages
    "(process:2094): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library. Using the fallback 'C' locale"
    "(firefox:2094): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library"
    "Bus error"

The only package that I have installed post-installation is emacs (which did seem to also install some gtk packages).

I have been using a KDE destop on RedHat/Centos for the last 8 years and had hoped that by moving to Kubuntu I could obtain a better desktop experience, but that is certainly not panning out. I'm mystified because a forum search does not seem to show that others are experiencing crashes, so thought I should post something here before moving on to another distribution.

Re: Firefox crashes on new 10.04LTS install

Take a look here: http://bit.ly/e2OREa
    ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Your link goes to a Google search on the error message. I had already done that before posting here. But that search shows _many_ possible "solutions". And I am supposed to try them all just to get a new install to work?? I have a problem with that, just as I'd have a problem if I bought a new car and it did not work and the dealer just told me to fix it myself.

Nonetheless, I did try the first "solution" on from that search - but it did not work, failing with a "character map iso88591 not found" - so I am then supposed to go google searching and trying to find out how to fix that secondary problem?? No thanks. I've been using Linux since before there was a "Red Hat" so I've had my fill of spending time trying to "fix" it. I used UNIX for 15 years before that, for which I never had such problems, so I keep on hoping that Linux will someday get out of its sandbox and become what UNIX was, but that does not seem to be happening. From the Google search it appears that this is a widespread problem in Debian-based distros but not in other distros. So if there is no easy fix I think I would be smarter, and have fewer long term problems, to find a distro that works out of the box, not try to patch up something which does not even work out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by glendeni
        I have a problem with that, just as I'd have a problem if I bought a new car and it did not work and the dealer just told me to fix it myself.
        So how much did your Kubuntu cost?

Anyway, frustrations aside, you have a problem...

Neither of you can have googled too hard 'cos if you input the following:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library"
        "Bus error"

you will get meaningful responses from everyone's fave search engine. Try this hit here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=215807
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
        X