This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.6 in Lucid 10.04 LTS?

When/Where will 4.6 be backported to 10.04? If not, why not?!
    Hell Yes! Its a LTS release, deserves updates for 3 years!
    0%
    No, only new ish for the bleeding edge freaks.
    0%
    I don't know what 4.6 is.
    0%
    What is this Kubuntu thing?
    0%

Re: KDE 4.6 in Lucid 10.04 LTS?

upgrading 10.04 to 4.6 would involve upgrading way more than just KDE. Qt and other core libraries/tools would have to be upgraded as well. Which would likely break other bits. Not that it couldn't be done - and someone would have to step up and do the work- its just may not be worth the breakages. You generally won't see new MAJOR version bumps (4.4.x to 4.5.x, for example) outside of a PPA

Also, LTS provides security and bugfixes only that DO NOT involve new versions of software, generally speaking, though this is changing for future releases - . Some bits, such as Firefox are now upgraded across versions now.

Comment

What claydoh said, and, according to the annoucement page, 4.6 works for Maverick and they are currently compiling KDE 4.6 for Natty Narwhale as we write these msgs, so expect it within days. IF you are running Lucid you can install Maverick or Natty as a guest OS and test 4.6 in that environment.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm using KDE 4.6 in Natty guest OS right now. It's very pretty! Of course, I'm installing Unity right now, too, so I can see what all the fuss is about.

If 4.6 was available for 10.04, I still wouldn't upgrade. Sounds like high breakage potential to me.

(and this thread should really be in the community cafe, I think)
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Nattty? Today's announcement said that they were compiling Natty today. Did they complete the job?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yep, I upgraded to 4.6 in Natty just this evening. About 244 packages; 1.5 hours since the server was a bit bogged. Everything is looking good. I've yet to test out everything but I'm getting more and more excited to wipe my hard drive and install 11.04 in April!
            Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
            Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

So much for my wishful thinking. I'm only using LTS releases these days, so guess I'll have to wait til 11.10 or 12.04, whichever is the next LTS release.

Comment

Don't be sad , at least you can install the new splash screen & wallpaper from KDE 4.6 :P. Download it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16223945/kde...llpaper.tar.gz

Instruction:
                Code:
                1. Extract kde4.6-splash-wallpaper.tar.gz: tar xzf kde4.6-splash-wallpaper.tar.gz
                2. Goto Workspace Appearance - Splash Screen - Install Theme File and select AirHoros.tar.gz
                3. Install the wallpaper by running the following command: sudo tar -C /usr/share/wallpapers -xzf horos-wallpaper.tar.gz
                4. That's it, have fun! :)
                ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Working...
                X