This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucid crashes intermittently, no pattern

Thank you for the suggestion, but no progress. Login at the GUI, splash screen progresses to the desktop icon and then it crashes.

I really like Kubuntu and have been using it for several years, but wondering now if I should just install Ubuntu on this machine. Seems like there's more effort being put into refinement and bug fixes. I need stability with these boxes to keep my business alive and I don't have endless hours to dedicate to problems like this if I can help it. Do you think Ubuntu would be more stable and troublefree?

I had previously kept this desktop machine on the old version of KDE because 4.0 was such a mess when it was implemented. Seems much better now and my laptop runs well on Lucid.

Comment

Your call. If I was the one asking that question, I'd download both, the Ubuntu LL 10.04 and Kubuntu 10.04 LiveCDs (or order both from Shipit) and try running both on the problematic PC.

Ubuntu (Gnome Desktop Environment) is the more stable, in that, Kubuntu (KDE Desktop Environment) is the 'bleeding edge' variant.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your frank reply. I may do just that.

Comment

I can seriously understand your frustration - I'm sure you are experiencing such - but I hope that this particular experience, as bad as it is, doesn't put you off of from Linux. If Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) serves your needs better, I for one wouldn't 'dis' you for switching. Linux is all about choice, and definitely isn't a "one size fits all" OS.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Understood, and I don't want to come off as a whiner. I'm a choice-oriented personality and that's why I'm here. Frustration with Linux is easily put into perspective whenever I boot into my Windows partition. Windows 7 is the best I've used and it still sucks, and unbelievable how much space it takes for so little delivered. The nag screens alone will send me running, and of course I could go on and on...

I had played around with Ubuntu before I checked out KDE and I certainly like the look and feel of KDE better, as well as some very useful applications. But I'm in a position where my computer(s) must work every day without fail, and I've run into some frustrating roadblocks, such as networking. I can't get these two machines to network to save my ass and I've spent a lot of time working on it. They will exchange files just fine with Kepas so I know that they can network, but the zeroconf module doesn't work and neither does anything else I tried. These sorts of issues make me eventually start looking toward finding another solution that might be within my skill set. Maybe "linux for the masses" has some of these issues worked out more thoroughly.

Comment

Working...
            X