Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I upgrade from Hardy (8.04) directly to Lucid (10.04)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I upgrade from Hardy (8.04) directly to Lucid (10.04)?

I have a customized Kubuntu Hardy system that works nicely but would like to move to the next LTS version (10.04). When I ran a version upgrade under adept it attempted an upgrade to Karmic. The updater produced/encountered errors which had the affect of making my system unusable/bootable. Fortunately I have a backup image for restoring my good system. However, I really don't want to do a clean install that would require redoing all of the customization.

Is there a way to upgrade directly to Lucid? If not is there a way to upgrade to Karmic that won't destroy my system?

BTW - the only thing I can think of that may be out of the ordinary on my operational Kubuntu system is that the /tmp directory is mounted on a separate partition.

Also, I was able to successfully upgrade Ubuntu Server 8.04 using apt-get dist-upgrade and it upgraded directly to 10.04. Is it possible that I should abandon adept?

Re: Can I upgrade from Hardy (8.04) directly to Lucid (10.04)?

There is no way to upgrade directly from 8.04 to 10.04 due to drastical changes. Ubuntu 8.04 and Server 8.04 tot 10.04 can be done, but Kubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 not due to drastical changes.
    Adept is dropped as default since 9.04, but still can be installed and I suggest you do that, 'cause it's waaaaay better than it's replacement. I still use Adept every day

Your customization would be gone anyway btw, since 8.04 has the deprecated KDE 3.5 and 10.04 the new KDE 4.4, which is tooootally different from 3.5.
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Personally, bite the bullet, backup your important/necessary/required data, and repartition and install KK 10.04 'fresh' from a current LiveCD and then update/upgrade and configure/customize as you want.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by ajax
        I have a customized Kubuntu Hardy system that works nicely but would like to move to the next LTS version (10.04).
        You should be able to upgrade from LTS to LTS. I've never tried it though I have read of others having success. Read this article on how to do just that. See section "Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS"
        Boot Info Script

Comment

@verndog: As I stated above, ONLY Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server 8.04 can upgrade to 10.04
          Kubuntu cannot, 'cause of the drastical changes (KDE 4).
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
            You should be able to upgrade from LTS to LTS.
            LTS to LTS upgrades are supported, but kubuntu 8.04 is not officially an LTS version (unlike ubuntu)...from the release notes of 10.04:
            Please note: upgrades from Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) are not supported, a fresh install is needed.
            It's possible to upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 if you really know what you're doing and can solve problems manually (one option is to remove kubuntu parts completely...upgrade the base system and reinstall kubuntu stuff), but otherwise a clean install is the best way to proceed (unless you wish to perform step-by-step upgrades, which is probably not worth the effort.

Comment

I think a clean install goes faster @kubicle. 10.04 installs within 15 minutes here, then about 45 minutes to setup everything again et voila. Within an hour, I have a fresh install (excluding putting my pictures etc. back, but that transfers in the background, so I can still work again within an hour).

Comment

Working...
              X