Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Still Suffering Program and KDE Crashes !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still Suffering Program and KDE Crashes

Right, it's memtest86+ but I just wanted to call it memtest for short

Now he should know that there's no real need to download it from any website since it's already installed by *buntu. The thing is I know there are some distros that never showed me that option in grub or grub2... I wonder if I made further modifications to the config files or not...
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I didn't consider the RAM cheap. G.Skill 1GB DIMMS (DDR3 1280) CAS 6-7-6-21 64 bit 240 pin DIMM memory

Of course I did remove those stupid heat sinks. Can you believe they use double-sided tape to attach them to the RAM ICs? Well, it's not a very good heat transfer medium and the modules would not fit in the slots because of the CPU heat sink. It's possible I damaged the 2 DIMMs by removing the heat sinks.

Of course I work for a defense contractor as an electronic test technician after retiring from the Air Force as an Avionics Technician (Radio, RADAR, Doppler, Instruments, etc.)

That's okay, if I modify a component (voiding the warranty of course) and that component fails, I don't yell foul and blame it on poor manufacturing.

I'm going to run this system hard for another 4 days and if I still don't experience program or application crashes, I'll call this thread SOLVED! Thanks again for everything my friends. I'll make sure I give back to others who are less skilled with Linux just as you have done for me. Isn't that what open source is all about? I think so.

"If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Since this thread is about program and KDE crashes I will report that today, following some updates on my KLL/KDE 4.5.1, my dolphin crashes frequently when I am rearranging files by moving them from one directory to another. The are pdf files and the "Information" panel often shows the first page of the pdf. The crash doesn't occur during the transfer, but afterward, when I am rolling my mouse icon down other pdf entries and looking at the information panel.

When I uncheck the Information panel so that it is not being displayed, the problem goes away.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek;

Check for bad bits in your RAM !!! LOL, sorry, but I just couldn't resist. Those crashes and restarts drove me nuts for weeks and weeks. Does you syslog "see" the crashes?
          "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Nope. RAM is ok, too.

It's Dolphin. There was an update this morning. Maybe it will fix the regression.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X