This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent X server crash

Since installing Kubuntu 10.04 installation I have experience a series of X server crashes, i.e. I would be thrown back to the kdm login screen and would have to start the session anew.

Following are the suspected entries from the logs.

/var/log/kdm.log:
    Code:
    drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -12. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.

/var/log/syslog:
    Code:
    Aug 14 13:41:21 secundus kernel: [ 6546.122487] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!
    Aug 14 13:41:21 secundus kdm[726]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Frequent X server crash

It's a bug.

It was first posted on May 21 and the fix was committed on July 21.

The issue is mixed:

Seems no error on 2.6.34-020634-generic #020634 SMP Mon May 17 20:34:55 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux kernel.
    I have the same problem.
    wouter@wouter-desktop:~$ uname -a
    Linux wouter-desktop 2.6.32-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 1 14:17:36 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    The radeon driver seems particularly vulnerable:

I am seeing this as well with 2.6.32-22-generic

This one is associated with a crash ( X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly):

Jun 3 08:17:01 ns1 CRON[3291]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Jun 3 08:25:02 ns1 CRON[3348]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
    Jun 3 08:31:48 ns1 kernel: [ 4773.852874] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!
    One person discovered a temporary workaround for his condition:

This also happens on Kubuntu, not using firefox. It can happen with different applications showing graphics, such as Akregator, Konqueror, etc. I found that you can actually predict when X is going to crash and bring you straight to login screen, because characters within the window start to be replaced by senseless symbols; or images within the frame of the window turn into thick coloured horizontal stripes. Whenever I see that, I immediately close the window in question, and go check the System log, which invariably shows such messages as:

2010-06-04 14:58:08 EGO kernel [20138.652499] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!
    2010-06-04 14:58:08 EGO kernel [20139.291065] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!
    2010-06-04 14:58:09 EGO kernel [20139.797174] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!

I found that this prevents crashes, and interruption to normal workflow. Still, it's merely a temporary workaround that doesn't solve the issue.
    In what one person thinks is an indentical bug is offered this work around:

As a workaround until this is resolved, I use a script:

$ cat bin/fixcompiz
    #! /bin/sh
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    /usr/bin/xhost local:$USER
    /usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/metacity --replace > /dev/null &

So when I get the error, I go to a tty (e.g., ctrl-alt-F1) and run the script from there. The downside is that all of my open apps are now in workspace #1 and I need to move them if I want them back in the workspaces they occupied pre-crash.
    but you get thrown back to the login screen so that wouldn't help. I include it because other with a similar problem may not get a kdm termination and can use it.

Meanwhile, if the fix is indeed in the works it probably won't be long until the upgraded kernel and/or xorg driver appears in the repository. IF you have the ability to change your resolution or refresh frequency try using a lower res or freq.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, I think I found a solution.

I disabled all visual effects in KDE (transparency and so on) and until now my X has been stable.

Comment

My X has always been stable but I do that automatically because my GM45 video chip is midrange in performance and I don't like the way desktop effects cuts my FPS almost to 1/3rd... Stellarium's FPS is 20-25 fps without desktop effects and 6-12 FPS with it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X