This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu keeps auto rebooting

Hello, this is my first post here. Just installed kubuntu on 2 different partitions (because the first one didnt work, just kept rebooting). Now the second is doing the same. On both partitions i also got a WindowsXP installed.

The installation goes fine. After install i reboot. Then i get a choice of OS. I pick kubuntu, the screen goes black after 3-4 sec and it automatically reboots.

I can press the 'e' to enter the edit menu. It shows this:

GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5

recordfail
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0.6)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e3893382-7cf1-4a5c-992f-e3fe12d43/a64
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic-pae root=UUID=e3893382-7cf1-4a/5c-992f-e3fe12d43a64 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic-pae

Im a total noob to (k)ubuntu. I do think that kubuntu has issues detecting the hd. The hd is detected in BIOS though (SATA 1 > Maxtor 6L200M0). Can someone help me to fix this?

Re: Kubuntu keeps auto rebooting

Hello Kbooter and welcome to the forum and to the Kubuntu operating system.

To begin, I need to better understand your situation. Right now, you have Kubuntu AND Windoze XP installed on two different partitions of the same physical HD and the second partition is bootable after failing with the first. Is that correct?
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Yes, it looks like

partition 1 - XP and Kubuntu
      partition 2 - XP and Kubuntu

all on the same physical hd. I formatted both partitions ntfs before installing. Both kubuntu (not XP) arent bootable, they keep rebooting (same with the recovery version).

This is how de 'e' menu looks on the first kubuntu

insmod ntfs
      set root='(hd0,2)'
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 54cc9251cc922cec
      loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
      set root=(loop0)
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic-pae root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash

If this version is easier to work with, than ill delete the other, and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbooter

I formatted both partitions ntfs before installing.
        If this means you're attempting to install Kubuntu on a partition formatted NTFS, then the problem is solved -- stop doing that!

Try it like this:

1. Using the partitioning tool of your choice (mine is Parted Magic Live on a USB stick), make 4 primary partitions:

a. First one Windows -- probably needs to be 20G minimum, NTFS format
        b. Second one can be for data (all the residual space after c. and d. below), NTFS format if you need to share with Windows
        c. Third one can be a swap space -- 1.5X your memory is fine
        d. Fourth can be for Kubuntu -- probably 10G or 15G is sufficient, ext4

2. Install Windows on the first partition

3. Install Kubuntu on the fourth partition, and in the final step let it install Grub to the MBR of the hard drive.

This should result in a system that will boot either Kubuntu or Windows from the boot menu.

Plan to put all important data in the shared NTFS data partition. I organize it in directories, aka "folders" with names like "DOCS", "MUSIC", "IMAGES", "VIDEOS", etc., and then subfolders with suitable names.

In the Kubuntu user's home folder, you can make what Windows users call "shortcuts" and Linux users call "symlinks", by using a split window in Dolphin to drag the folders from the shared partition in to the user's home folder and choosing "Link Here" from the Dolphin drag and drop dialog.

Comment

Thanks, i followed all the steps, installed kubuntu but ended up with the same result. When i choose kubuntu at startup it just reboots.

Made a screen of the hd installation step. As you can see at "before" i have 4 partitions. 1 and 2 for windows (gray), 3th is swap (pink), 4th is linux in blue (used ext3 cause ext4 wasnt an option in Partition Magic, i also read that the differences between them arent that huge).

I assume that kubuntu recognized the linux filesystem and wanted to install it there. This you can see at the "after"-bar. The black arrow on the right was automatically on the right partition.

and in the final step let it install Grub to the MBR of the hard drive.
          So 'let it install' means kubuntu automatically installs this? I did saw that at the end of the installation there was a "pass" option for certain parts, like language packs, but i didnt pass anything.

What am i doing wrong
          Attached Files

Comment

pardon me for steping in but I notesed something..........

in your first post we have

I can press the 'e' to enter the edit menu. It shows this:

GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5

recordfail
            insmod ext2
            set root='(hd0.6)'
            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e3893382-7cf1-4a5c-992f-e3fe12d43/a64
            linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic-pae root=UUID=e3893382-7cf1-4a/5c-992f-e3fe12d43a64 ro quiet splash

whitch looks like a standerd install

then we have this

Yes, it looks like

partition 1 - XP and Kubuntu
            partition 2 - XP and Kubuntu

all on the same physical hd. I formatted both partitions ntfs before installing. Both kubuntu (not XP) arent bootable, they keep rebooting (same with the recovery version).

This is how de 'e' menu looks on the first kubuntu

insmod ntfs
            set root='(hd0,2)'
            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 54cc9251cc922cec
            loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
            set root=(loop0)
            linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic-pae root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash

If this version is easier to work with, than ill delete the other, and vice versa.
            whitch looks to be a wubi install .......is that right ?

you wanted to try both and see if one would work?

will the livecd run ?

can the windows boot?

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes i tried both, and yes Windows can boot.

I found my exact problem on the Ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ically+reboots

Ill keep a close eye on that thread and other sources, hopefully it gets fixed. Thanks for all the quick replies!

Comment

Working...
              X